sports track & field

IU track and field surges at Power 5 Invitational

IU vs TEN

It was a weekend filled with personal records for the Hoosiers at the Power 5 Invitational in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Despite the competition from across the country, IU improved in a number of areas, setting nine new personal records. 

The women got the list of records started by setting two Friday. Freshman Alexis Hill set a personal open weight throw record with a distance of 19.59 meters, taking second place. Freshman Claire Hamilton set another record with her time of 4:53.29 in the mile run.

Day two of the invitational saw the Hoosiers set seven more personal records, as well as a few facility records.  

After taking second place in the high jump, freshman Hope Purcell set her personal best in the 60-meter hurdles. Her time of 8.72 seconds earned her fourth place. 

On the other side of the 60-meter hurdles, junior William Session tied the facility record with his winning time of 7.96 seconds. 

Along with the hurdles, the men also topped the podium in the 60-meter race. Freshman Rikkoi Brathwaite took first place with his time of 6.77 seconds.

On top of the 60-meter, Brathwaite competed in his first 200-meter race of the season. He clocked in with a time of 21.60 seconds to grab third place. 

The Hoosiers continued their hot start in the track events by grabbing second and third place in the women’s and men’s 1-mile races respectively. 

To round out the strong showings in the mile, freshman Bailey Hertenstein set her new personal record with a time of 4:48.79.

In the 400-meter IU nabbed themselves a top-three finish on both the men’s and women’s side — senior Derek Grimmer for the men, and sophomore Natalie Price for the women.

Grimmer’s personal record time of 48.43 seconds was good enough for second place. Price finished in third place, crossing the finish line in 54.60 seconds.  

The last personal record set in the track events was by freshman Nathaniel Davis with a time of 21.72 seconds in the 200-meter.

To round things out for the team on the track junior Bryce Millar took the 5,000-meter crown and freshman Jalen Royal earned second place in the 600-meter. 

The remaining personal records, facility records and meet record were set by Hoosiers in the field events.

The women’s shot put was where fans saw the meet record broken. Junior Khayla Dawson earned the mark with a distance of 17.42 meters. 

The invitational weight throw was where IU set the final two personal records: sophomore Princess Brinkley with a distance of 20.72 meters and senior Nycia Ford with a distance of 20.19 meters. 

The Hoosiers closed out the good showings in the pole vault. Sophomore Anna Watson set a personal record with her height of 4.15 meters, and junior Adam Coulon grabbed first place and a facility record with his height of 5.38 meters. 

The Hoosiers have a busy weekend ahead of them as they are set to send athletes to three different events. This includes the Hoosier Hills meet at home, the Iowa State Classic and the Tyson Invitational in Arkansas.