arts pop culture

IDS staff responds to the winners, losers from the 91st Academy Awards

entoscars022519

Now that the 91st Academy Awards took place Feb. 24, this year’s film awards season is officially over.

“Green Book” took home the biggest award of the night for Best Picture, and fans of movies such as “The Favourite” and “Roma” spent the night lamenting snubs for the same award. Here are some takes on the night's winners and losers from the staff of the Indiana Daily Student. 

Annie Aguiar, arts editor: The highlight of the night for me was Olivia Colman winning for “The Favourite,” after Glenn Close was expected to win following a successful awards season for her role in “The Wife.” Colman was amazing as the immature and impulsive Queen Anne. While it’s a shame “The Favourite” didn’t receive more recognition, Colman’s win — and her absolutely adorable acceptance speech — was fantastic to see. 

Claire Livingston, photographer: I really don’t think “Bohemian Rhapsody” should have won Best Editing. I have not seen it, but one clip has been circulating the internet and it is the worst editing I have ever seen. Every 2 seconds there’s a jump cut, making a scene of them just sitting at a table talking have about 50 cuts and it’s only 70ish seconds long. It's just ridiculous.

Editor-in-Chief Matt Rasnic on his favorite awards season movie, “Green Book”: GO. WATCH. IT. 

Joey Bowling, news reporter: “A Star is Born” was not that good of a movie. The nomination for Best Adapted screenplay nomination seemed like a pity move. The general storyline was overplayed and uninteresting, and perhaps Lady Gaga was the saving grace of the movie considering the original song, “Shallow,” was the only piece of the movie to win an Oscar.

Chris Forrester, arts reporter: The single Oscar win for “The Favourite," while completely deserved, is a tragedy because it's representative of the Academy's unwillingness to award anything singular or unusual. On paper it feels like a shoo-in to sweep the Oscars; it's beautifully crafted in every way, lovingly photographed, perfectly performed and riotously funny. And yet despite being arguably the crowd pleaser of the Awards season, it was almost entirely overlooked. Off with their heads!

Ellen Hine, copy chief: I surprisingly really liked that the Oscars didn’t have a host this year. It felt like the whole show was much more streamlined without someone doing bad bits before introducing presenters. I think the Academy should just eliminate the host altogether to save time instead of trying to shove cinematography, makeup and hairstyling awards during commercial breaks.