crime & courts

53-year-old man arrested after reportedly trying to stab someone

A 53-year-old man was arrested Wednesday evening outside the Monroe County History Center after reportedly trying to stab someone.

Police arrived around 5:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Monroe County Library after it was reported that James Starr Jr. was causing damage to the library and trying to stab someone, Bloomington Police Department Lt. Ryan Pedigo said. 

Starr has a history of resisting police, criminal trespassing and public intoxication, according to court records. 

He wasn’t at the library, but Starr was found on the corner of East Sixth and North Washington streets, Pedigo said. He said Starr was arguing with another man.

Starr pulled his hand back like he was about to stab the man with a combination corkscrew and knife he was holding, Pedigo said. 

He was told to drop it, according to police, but Starr put the weapon in his pocket instead, so officers handcuffed him.  

The man Starr was arguing with told police Starr asked if he had any money while holding the corkscrew and knife by his side. Pedigo said since Starr didn’t demand money from the man, he wasn’t charged with robbery. 

When Starr was put into the backseat of the patrol car, Pedigo said, he kicked an officer in the side of the face. 

Starr faces preliminary charges of battery on a police officer, intimidation with a deadly weapon and public intoxication.