sports track & field

IU track and field earns national records at the Jim Green Invitational

Then-sophomore, now junior Kyle Mau runs in the Sam Bell Invitational on Sept. 30, 2017 at the IU cross-country course. Mau finished 49th in the NCAA National Championship race this season.

The IU track and field team found success this weekend at the Jim Green Invitational, which took place at the University of Kentucky.  

Both the men's and women’s teams left Lexington with two national records under their belts. 

On the men’s side, sophomore Cooper Williams was responsible for the record-setting 800-meter run with a time of 1:49.09, while redshirt junior Kyle Mau took home the record in the mile with a time of 4:01.63. 

Sisters Kelsey and Haley Harris set records for the women's team.

Kelsey, a junior, finished with a time of 2:06.93 in the 800-meter, while Haley, a senior, finished with a time of 4:45.94 in the mile. 

Two personal records were set at the event as well.

Senior Derek Grimmer set a personal record in the 400-meter with a time of 48.73 seconds, and junior Adam Coulon set his in the pole vault with a height of 5.52 meters. 

They finished fourth and second in their respective events.

Other athletes on the women’s side with notable finishes include sophomore Natalie Price, junior Leah Moran and sophomore Maddy Pollard.

Price snagged second place in the 400-meter with a time of 54.73 seconds and fourth place in the 200-meter after running a 24.43. 

Moran, triple jump, and Pollard, shut put, finished third in their respective events.

For the men, sophomore Jyles Etienne and redshirt junior Willie Morrison recorded solid finishes in their events.

Etienne snagged second-place in the high jump with a height of 2.15 meters and Morrison finished fifth in the shot put after recording a distance of 18.64 meters. 

To finish out the two-day invitational, the IU relay team of Riley Egbula, Kelsey Harris, Mallory Mulzer, and Natalie Price finished third in the 4x400.

Next up, the Hoosiers return home to host the Gladstein Invite. The two-day event begins 3:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 18