crime & courts

Bloomington woman escapes alleged kidnapper by driving to police department

A 36-year-old Mississippi man was arrested early Sunday morning for allegedly kidnapping a 25-year-old Bloomington woman. 

Bloomington Police Department Sgt. David Alley said the woman was forced at gunpoint to drive the alleged kidnapper, Travis Moore, to an apartment complex. Since he was unfamiliar with Bloomington, the woman drove to the police station without him realizing.

She arrived at the station around 1 a.m. Sunday, stopped the car and ran inside.

The woman and Moore knew each other from childhood and had recently reconnected on Facebook, officers said. The woman drove Moore into town from Mississippi on Thursday, and they stayed at an eastside hotel together. 

The woman left the hotel Saturday night, and when she came back, the two had a falling out, Alley said. 

Officers said she went out to her car, and Moore followed her. Moore pulled a gun and forced the woman’s friend, who was in the car, out and then forced the woman into the driver seat. That was when she drove to the police station. 

Once the woman ran into the station, Moore stole the car and started driving toward the north side of Bloomington, Alley said. The woman gave police a description of her car and an officer tracked Moore down.

Police arrested Moore around 3 a.m. at the 45/46 bypass and Fee Lane. 

Moore is facing preliminary charges of kidnapping, intimidation, car theft and having a handgun without a license.