student life

‘They treat them like royalty’: What IUDM looks like to a Riley parent

Adrian Mata

Young children roamed around the IU Tennis Center with smiles on their faces this weekend, holding hands with an IU buddy or riding atop a student’s shoulders. 

A girl with a yellow sweatband around her head scrambled around a circle of IU students playing duck duck goose. A boy hit a wiffle ball to a group who took turns throwing it to him in his wheelchair. 

Children who have been treated at the Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health in Indianapolis, also known as Riley kids, and their families were the focus of the 36-hour dance marathon this weekend that culminated in the announcement of $4,187,051.23 raised for Riley Children’s Hospital.

“They treat them like royalty here,” Rachel Davenport said. 

Davenport is a mother of five, including one Riley kid. This was her family’s fourth year at IUDM, and she said her three older children look forward to coming. 

“It’s nice to see college students pull together for the next generation,” Davenport said. 

Her son played in a bouncy castle Saturday afternoon in the section marked off for Riley Families and Riley Development committee members. Each student on Riley Development is paired with a younger buddy, though not all can make it to the marathon. 

The circus-themed corner had tables for kids and their families to do crafts and chat — they don’t need to stay on their feet like the dancers. A pennant banner read: “Come one come all to the Riley circus.”

Kids ate popcorn from red and white baskets and cotton candy swirled by Riley Development members.  

Natalie Meyer, 15, spent two years practicing a dance for the Saturday afternoon Riley Kid Talent Show. When she performed to “I Believe,” the crowd erupted into cheers. 

Meyer has microcephaly, a condition which causes a small head and developmental delays. She has been a patient in multiple Riley departments since she was little. 

Meyer and her family have been to smaller dance marathons at Whiteland Community High School, Franklin College and Indian Creek High School, but none as big as IUDM. 

“She was very nervous, but excited,” Kristi Meyer, Natalie Meyer’s mom, said. 

This weekend marked the 28th year of IUDM. Rose Black came with her 8-year-old son 27 years ago, and she has attended with family members ever since.

“It means the world to me,” Black said. 

Her son, who was born with cerebral palsy, looked forward to IUDM growing up, Black said. This year she brought her 5-year-old grandson. 

Black has started bringing pins with messages to encourage dancers when she sees them struggling or doing something good. She wants to show them Riley families appreciate what they’re doing. 

“Who wouldn’t want something like this for their sick child?” Black asked.