crime & courts bloomington national

IU mourned two shootings Monday. How many others happened across the country?

24hr.png

The IU community mourned two shootings this week. One, at a Pittsburgh synagogue, left 11 dead and six wounded. The other, less than 15 hours later, happened at an off-campus IU fraternity party. One man died and two others were injured, including a man who remains in critical condition. 

After vigils for the shootings happened at almost the same time Monday night, editors at the Indiana Daily Student wondered how many other vigils were happening across the country that same night. How many other shootings had happened in the same 24-hour period as the two that touched us?

Using data from the Gun Violence Archive, a nonprofit that tracks shootings across the country, cross-referenced with news articles, the IDS compiled a sampling of the shootings that happened in the 24-hour period after the gunman opened fire in the Tree of Life synagogue. 

We don't know exactly how many shootings occurred in those 24 hours — our list of reported shootings is incomplete and other shootings likely went unreported. But we do know shootings injured or killed people as young as 2 and as old as 97. We know many were homicides, but at least one was a suicide and one was accidental. We know the one in Monroe County wasn't even the only shooting in Indiana.

This was one day in America.

P1.11.01.18.jpg

Oct. 27

9:50 a.m. in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: A man enters Tree of Life synagogue allegedly armed with an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle and three Glock .357 handguns, killing 11 people and injuring six others. 

10 a.m. in Salt Lake City, Utah: A residential shooting leaves 40-year-old man in critical condition.

10:02 a.m. in Chicago, Illinois: A man, 23, is shot in his upper left leg in the South Side Englewood neighborhood.

12:44 p.m. in Birmingham, Alabama: Korey Carlisle, 27, is found shot dead at the bottom of a staircase.

1 p.m. in North Clarendon, Vermont: A man dies after shooting himself in the Rutland-Southern Vermont Regional Airport parking lot.

1:15 p.m. in Killeen, Texas: A woman is injured in a house by a gunshot after someone shot at the floor and the bullet ricocheted

2 p.m. in Chicago, Illinois: A man, 21, is shot in the arm walking down a crowded Loop street.

3:58 p.m. in Chicago, Illinois: A man, 32, is shot in the head while standing in an alley. He is now in stable condition.

4 p.m. in Newport News, Virginia: Two men are injured in a shooting downtown.

4:05 p.m. in Richmond, California: One man dies and one is injured in shooting at a homeless camp.

5:10 p.m. in Chicago, Illinois: A man, 33, is shot in his leg while walking on a sidewalk on the Northwest Side.

5:17 p.m. in Washington, D.C.: Trayvon Wood, 19, is found dead with multiple gunshot wounds. He was the 136th homicide victim in D.C. in 2018, according to data from the Metropolitan Police Department.

5:21 p.m. in Cyprus, Texas: One person is shot in the Houston Premium Outlets parking lot.

5:26 p.m. in Calumet City, Illinois: Marvin Davis, 26, is shot to death on 155th Street.

5:45 p.m. in Evansville, Indiana: A 2-year-old girl finds .45-caliber handgun and accidentally shoots herself in the chest. On-site medical personnel say the injury is survivable.

6:33 p.m. in Oakland, California: A man, 29 is injured during a possible shootout.

6:45 p.m. in Dayton, Ohio: Lensie Wiggins Jr., 37, dies from gunshots after being dropped off at hospital.

8:36 p.m. in Chicago, Illinois: A girl, 17, is shot while walking on a sidewalk in the West Garfield Park neighborhood. She is in stable condition.

10:13 p.m. in Oakland, California: A boy, 17, and a man, 20, are injured after being shot in a parked car.

11 p.m. in Paterson, New Jersey: A 28-year-old man with gunshot wounds arrives alone at a hospital following reports of shots fired earlier in the night. The victim is the fourth shot in the city since Friday.

11:30 p.m. in Roseville, California: Two people are shot and injured near a Dave and Buster's sports bar. Customers take cover under tables.

11:53 p.m. in Chicago, Illinois: A 14-year-old boy is shot in the left leg by someone driving a white sedan.

Oct. 28

12:30 a.m. in Monroe County, Indiana: Kemontie Johnson, 21, is shot in the neck and body eight times at an off-campus fraternity party and later dies. Another person is shot in the arm and a third man, shot in the head, is left in critical condition.

12:30 a.m. in San Antonio, Texas: Two juveniles are shot in the legs at a party.

12:30 a.m. in Houston, Texas: A man is found after being shot in the leg.

1 a.m. in South Bend, Indiana: A 19-year-old man is found with a gunshot wound to his leg.

1 a.m. in Geneva, New York: A 39-year-old man is found with several gunshot wounds to the lower body.

1:18 a.m.  in Cedar Grove, North Carolina: An 18-year-old woman is shot in the head at a Halloween party. She later dies at a hospital.

1:30 a.m. in Moab, Utah: Edgar Luna Najera, 30, is found dead after being shot multiple times.

1:46 a.m. in Haysville, Kansas: Jaylin Jacobs, 19, was shot dead at a crowded party.

2 a.m. in Madison, Wisconsin: A 21-year-old man is shot and later dies.

2:27 a.m. in Chicago, Illinois: A 21-year-old man is shot in the right leg while walking on a sidewalk in the Austin neighborhood.

2:40 a.m. in Anchorage, Alaska: Two adult women are found outside of a home with gunshot wounds in their upper bodies.

3 a.m. in Lansing, Michigan: An Indianapolis man is found shot at the hospital after trying to break up a fight.

3 a.m. in South Bend, Indiana: A 19-year-old woman is shot in the hand. She later tells police it happened while reaching for her own gun.

3:18 a.m. in Toledo, Ohio: A man, 24, is injured by a shot to the lower body at a party.

3:21 a.m. in Chicago, Illinois: A 37-year-old man is shot in the back while driving.

3:50 a.m. in Chicago, Illinois: Three people are shot on the sidewalk when someone in a vehicle fired at them. A 24-year-old woman is shot in the buttocks, a 32-year-old man is shot in the abdomen, and a 28-year-old woman is shot in the left leg. 

5 a.m. in Chicago, Illinois: A 15-year-old boy is shot while riding his bike in the Little Village neighborhood. 

6:20 a.m. in Amarillo, Texas: A man, 40, is shot inside a house. He is taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries.