sports swimming & diving

Lilly King dominates as Big Ten women crush ACC in conference challenge

kingswimming.jpg

It was the best of the best in the pool for the Big Ten in West Lafayette, Indiana, and as she is known to do, senior Lilly King stood out among the stars.

The Big Ten women won big over the ACC, by a margin of 251-102, and in the process Lilly King officially qualified for the NCAA Championship meet in Austin, Texas.

King turned in an NCAA A cut in both the 100 and 200-yard breaststroke, finishing with a time of 57.85 in the 100-yard breaststroke, which is the fastest time in the nation by nearly a second, and a 2:06.81 in the 200-yard breaststroke, which is the fastest time in the nation this season by nearly two seconds. King won both of these individual events at the ACC/Big Ten challenge. 

King also was part of the 200- and 400-yard medley relay teams that won each respective event. In the 200-yard relay, King had a 25.72 split, which is the second fastest time ever. In the 400-yard medley relay, King was just as dominant, swimming a 56.92 time, her fastest split of the year.

The Big Ten relays were dominant overall. In the 200-yard and 400-yard medley relays, the Big Ten A teams both hit times that would have been NCAA A cuts, and would have qualified the team for the national championships automatically, except for the fact that the team consisted of swimmers for multiple schools. 

Baily Andison, a senior transfer from Denver, recorded her first win as a Hoosier. Andison won the 400-yard individual medley with a time of 4:05.56. She barely won the event over Emma Muzzy of North Carolina State, but still set the fastest time in the nation by over five seconds for the event.

Andison and King both swam in the 200-yard individual medley, and finished second and third respectively. Both hit NCAA B cuts with their swims.

Andison was a first team All-American last season with Denver, and has competed in multiple NCAA Championship events. For her final year, Andison chose to transfer to IU and join an already loaded Hoosiers team. Andison brings a big boost to both the Hoosiers individual medley and breaststroke groups. It took until the third meet of the season, but Andison proved why she was so highly regarded as a transfer coming into IU. 

Seniors Christie Jensen and Shelby Koontz, as well as freshman Ileah Doctor, competed in the event, but none recorded individual or relay victories.

Jensen finished third in the 100-yard butterfly, as well as third in the 200-yard and 400-yard medley relay. Doctor was part of the third place 200-yard medley relay group.

IU will be back in action for the four-day IU Invitational starting Nov. 15.