sports wrestling

IU wrestling finishes second at Navy Classic

Then-redshirt freshman Jake Kleimola, now a redshirt sophomore, prepares to wrestle against then-freshman Mike Maguire in the 197 lb weight class on Oct. 26, 2017 in University Gym.

IU wrestling finished in second place at the Navy Classic on Saturday in Annapolis, Maryland, trailing only Michigan State in points. 

Last season the Hoosiers placed fourth out of 17 teams, so their second place finish this year was a marked improvement. Michigan State, with 126 points, came out as the winner, with IU's 95.5 points food enough for second.

Navy finished in third with 92 total points.

Sophomore Jake Kleimola was the top finisher for IU, coming out on top at his weight class. IU also had a pair of third-place finishes from Paul Konrath and Bryce Martin, who continued their strong starts to season. 

Performances like this have shown IU can be competitive in most scenarios. With Michigan State in the mix, this is the first look IU has had at another Big Ten school this season. 

With heavyweight squads like Penn State and Ohio State in the Big Ten, IU will need to stay competitive with the lower tier of the conference, like Michigan State, to earn some wins this season. 

Coincidentally, Michigan State will be IU’s first Big Ten matchup of the season on Dec. 7, so IU should be a little more comfortable with the team after getting a look at the Spartans this weekend. 

Up next, IU will have its first home meet of the season against Northern Illinois on Nov. 30.