IU to name SGIS in honor of Indiana statesmen

Lee and Lugar

The School of Global and International Studies will be renamed Hamilton Lugar School of Global and International Studies, after two prominent Indiana politicians.

The change was officially announced this afternoon at IU-Purdue University Indianapolis. 

Additionally, the University announced a $25 million campaign to support the newly named Hamilton Lugar School of Global and International Studies, according to an email from Lee Feinstein, dean of the Global and International Studies School.

The school will be given this name in honor of former congressman Lee H. Hamilton and former senator Richard G. Lugar who have both been professors of practice at the school since it opened.

They both were honored by former President Barack Obama with the Presidential Medal of Freedom. The campaign will endow a scholars program modeled after the Wells Scholars Program and will also support professorships in honor of Hamilton and Lugar, according to an email from Feinstein.

There will be a livestream of the announcement in the Global Lounge in the School of Global and International Studies this afternoon. 

Events will take place around campus this year to celebrate the school’s achievement. 

Next Thursday, Oct. 11, there will be a school-wide celebration from 4 to 6 p.m. in the Global Lounge.