arts community events iu cinema

Filmmaker Boots Riley 'Isn't Bothered' to visit IU

Boots Riley attends the red carpet arrival for "Sorry To Bother You" on April 12 during San Francisco International Film Festival at Grand Lake Theatre in Oakland, California. 

Boots Riley has never been afraid to use his media as a way to send a message, according to the IU Cinema’s website

The filmmaker, rap artist, public speaker and director of the recent film “Sorry to Bother You” will be visiting IU for a collaboration event with the IU Cinema called “Boots Riley — Radical Instigator.” He will be at the IU Cinema for screenings of films that he chose and also an on-stage interview. 

The screening of Riley’s debut film “Sorry to Bother You” will be screened at 7 p.m.  Thursday, but is sold out according to the IU Cinema’s website. The cinema will not have a standby line for this event. 

Other films that Riley will be present for include “Black Cat, White Cat,” at 10 p.m. Thursday night, and “Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters” at 10 p.m. Friday night. Tickets for both of these films are $4. 

The interview with Riley will be at 7 p.m. Friday night at the IU Cinema, and people can begin waiting in line at 5 p.m. that afternoon. The event is free to attend, and there are no tickets being distributed, so it is first come first served. 

Riley's interview will be live streamed into different rooms of the Global and International Studies Building once the cinema is full. The link of the live stream will be posted on IU Cinema’s website.