Tuesday, March 19

academics & research

Ernie Pyle Hall to be rededicated in ceremony

Outside Ernie Pyle Hall

Ernie Pyle Hall will have a rededication ceremony Friday in honor of the building’s historic past.

Renovations to the building were finished this summer. The building will now house the Office of Admissions Welcome Center and the College of Arts and Sciences Walter Center for Career Achievement.

The rededication ceremony will take place at 3 p.m. Oct. 19 in Ernie Pyle Hall.

Ernie Pyle Hall was previously home to the Department – later School – of Journalism, the Indiana Daily Student and the Arbutus yearbook. It was named after Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and IU alumnus Ernie Pyle.

The new building has two new presentation areas that can hold up to 70 visitors in one and more than 150 in another, a far larger space than the former admissions office. This increase in space will give the admissions center the opportunity to welcome more potential students in one session.

New technology has also been introduced into the building, such as interactive touch and extensive floor-to-ceiling screens placed along the walls, creating a hands-on and visual experience for visitors.

The building is meant to be one centralized location for all the students enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences, whether a student is studying biology, journalism or mathematics. In addition, prospective students may get a feel for real life on campus as an arts and sciences major.

This story has been changed to clarify that the Department of Journalism later became the School of Journalism.