crime & courts

Domestic incident triggers school lockdown; police say public not in danger

DSC_0442.jpg

A 21-year-old man was arrested Friday at South Walnut Street and Miller Drive after reports he beat a woman several times in the past few days, Bloomington Police Department said.

Schools in the surrounding area were put on lockdown in case police could not locate the man, but the lockdown has since been lifted. The public is not in danger, police said.

Preliminary charges against the man are still unknown. 

Police responded to a call from a woman at 9:30 a.m. Friday on the 1700 block of South High Street. The woman reported she had been physically assaulted several times in the past few days, Lt. Ryan Pedigo said. 

The woman was outside when police arrived. She had visible injuries but did not require hospitalization, police said. 

She reported the man had hit her with the butt of a long gun about two nights ago and said she heard him fire a gun in another room.

Police believed there were guns in the house. The house was surrounded by law enforcement and the Critical Incident Response Team was called to the scene. The house was searched and police discovered the man was not there. 

Police suspect the man fled the house when they arrived, but he was contacted by phone and police were able to locate and arrest him.