Saturday, July 27

crime & courts

Apparently-drunk man wrestles with officers, kicks hole in hospital wall

Police arrested a 44-year-old Iowa man Tuesday evening who is accused of driving to a liquor store drunk, fighting with police and kicking a hole in a hospital wall.

An onlooker called police around 6:10 p.m. to report a blue Chevrolet Malibu weaving through traffic near the intersection of West Third Street and South Franklin Road. 

The car was parked at the Big Red Liquors on Third Street when police caught up with it. Timothy Moberg was slumped in the drivers seat, and according to police, smelled strongly of alcohol.

Moberg told officers he consumed a large amount of alcohol and admitted to driving himself to the store, according to the police report.

When officers began to run standard sobriety tests, they found Moberg could hardly stand, Bloomington Police Department Lt. John Kovach said. 

At that point, the officers on scene reported Moberg became uncooperative. As they began to wrestle him into the squad car, Moberg apparently tried to slam BPD officer Sean Kincaid’s arm in the car door.

Kincaid was not injured.

Moberg then reportedly began to head butt the partition between the seats in the car as he was driven to the hospital.

When they arrived at IU Health Bloomington Hospital and ushered Moberg out of the car, police said he began to resist, forcing them to take him to the ground. 

Officers eventually got him into the emergency department by wrangling him into a wheelchair, but Moberg reportedly continued to lash out and struggle.

Kovach said Moberg was screaming obscenities and kicked a hole in the wall of a hospital room. The doctor treating Moberg reportedly asked for him to be restrained more heavily.

Once Moberg was discharged, officers herded him back into the squad car, and he was driven – lights and sirens blaring – to the Monroe County Correctional Center.

Moberg’s preliminary charges include resisting law enforcement, public intoxication and criminal mischief.