crime & courts

Man calls police after being robbed at Days Inn, admits to doing drugs

A man was robbed Monday evening at the Bloomington Days Inn located at E. State Road, 200 Indiana 45 46 Bypasss, according to police. He later admitted to trying to buy drugs throughout the day and doing methamphetamine that evening. 

The 32-year-old man checked into the Days Inn on Monday with a 23-year-old woman.

The man told police he attempted to find narcotics throughout the day and there were multiple people who came in and out of the room. One of those people was Jeremy New, 23, who offered to give the victim drugs in exchange for his shirt and backpack. 

The man refused and, according to police, went and had sex with the woman in the bathroom of the motel room. When he came out, New and several others were angry with him and started beating him up. 

Bloomington Police Captain Steve Kellams said the victim had bruises on his arms and back among other injuries.

New and the other unknown men stole the victim's shirt, Nike Jordan shoes and watch. The victim then left to avoid being beaten further. He told police he went to a nearby gas station to clean up, where he ran into more friends and went to another motel where he spent the evening.

The victim came back the next day to the Days Inn and told BPD he wanted to check on the female he left the night before. When he got there he saw the room had been damaged, the TV stolen and everyone was gone. Before calling police he paid off the damages to the room which amounted to $350.

Once he called the police he explained how he had done drugs and how he had been robbed. He also identified his attackers by name and picked them out of a line up. Police then located and arrested New on charges of robbery and theft. He was then booked into the Monroe County Correctional Center.

The man has no current address and is believed by police to be transient.