Support the Indiana Daily Student to beat Purdue's student newspaper, the Exponent, through making a donation to the IDS Legacy Fund! Whichever publication raises more money before the Purdue v. IU football game Nov. 26 "wins" the challenge, but all donations go to support student journalism at the respective publications. To help IU beat Purdue and support the IDS, follow this link to donate.

Throwers have a successful weekend at Spec Towns Invite

<p>IU freshman Owen Kleppe sank three shots in Assembly Hall to win a new car during charity event.</p>

IU freshman Owen Kleppe sank three shots in Assembly Hall to win a new car during charity event.

Junior Nycia Ford competed in the hammer throw event Friday at the Spec Towns Invite in Athens, Georgia. She earned a personal best of 60.74 meters, which is over a meter of improvement from her last personal best.

Ford and sophomore Khayla Dawson were the only women from IU in attendance of this meet. 

Ford exceeded expectations in her event. The Jeffersonville, Indiana, native earned second place, just behind Jeneva Stevens, a member of the New York athletic club. 

Dawson competed in both the shot put event and the discus event on Saturday. In shot put, she earned third place with a distance of 16.59 meters. In discus, she earned eighth place with a distance of 46.55 meters. 

The Hoosiers will be in action again this upcoming weekend at the Tennessee Relays in Knoxville, Tennessee. 

Alexis Oser

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.