crime & courts

Police arrest man in Friday morning robbery, IU-Notify assists police

Bloomington Police Department arrested a man early Friday morning for armed robbery after an IU-Notify alert was sent out.

The man, Gregory Turk, 40, was found and arrested after an IU student received an IU-Notify Alert and called police saying she noticed a man in black clothing outside her apartment complex.

BPD Sgt. Dana Cole said Turk was originally seen in the 1200 block of North Dunn Street where he robbed a 30-year-old man in his apartment after the door was left unlocked.

The 30-year-old man said he woke up around 5:30 a.m. with an unknown man in his room. There were no signs of forced entry, according to police.

Turk allegedly threatened him with a black semi-automatic handgun, Cole said. The victim told police Turk had stolen his wallet, $100 and a pack of cigarettes. Turk then left the apartment in an unknown direction, Cole said.

At approximately 6:27 a.m., the initial IU-Notify alert went out, warning residents about someone with a handgun near 15th and Dunn streets. 

A female IU student woke up after receiving the alert and noticed a man outside. She called police who found Turk underneath the staircase at the student’s apartment. Cole said Turk would not comply with officers at first but was successfully arrested.

When Turk was arrested, the only thing police found on him was a small amount of marijuana and a BB gun. The victim later admitted the marijuana was his and was the only thing stolen from his apartment, according to police.

Turk is being charged with armed robbery, burglary and resisting arrest. He also has warrants out in Monroe and Marion counties.