crime & courts bloomington

Police looking for woman who stole $40 at Marathon Gas station

A woman took the ATM card of another woman Wednesday at a gas station, withdrew $40, and left.

The 20-year-old was sitting by a gas pump at the Marathon Gas station 2601 South Walnut Street when a woman she didn’t know knocked on her window. The woman who knocked said she needed a few dollars to buy diapers for her baby.

The woman in the car said she didn’t have cash on her but she would pay for her gas with cash and get change. The other woman told her there was an ATM machine in the station.

After the two walked into the gas station, the woman who was initially in the car told Bloomington police officers the second woman began “corralling” her toward the ATM. 

She asked the woman who requested the money if $10 would be enough, and she replied she needed $40.

The 20-year-old then said she wasn't going to give her any money. She printed a receipt from the ATM and told the woman her card wasn’t working.

She told police the second woman took the ATM card out of her hand and withdrew the money. She didn’t yell for the gas station clerk because she was intimidated by the woman’s size, she told officers.

The clerk said she had seen the woman asking for money around the store before.

Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Dana Cole said Thursday morning police were working to obtain surveillance footage from the gas station.

The woman who took the money was 5 feet 6 inches tall, black, had a heavy build and was wearing a black winter coat, the 20-year-old told police.