Instant Recap: Purdue defeats IU 31-24 in the Old Oaken Bucket game

Then-freshman running back Morgan Ellison avoids being tackled during the first half against Wisconsin on Nov. 4, 2017, at Memorial Stadium. Ellison released a statement on Twitter stating that he was falsely accused of sexual assault. 

FINAL: Purdue 31 IU 24 - This one has wrapped up in West Lafayette as IU loses the Old Oaken Bucket game to Purdue for the first time since 2012. The Hoosiers entered the 4th quarter trailing big and mounted a comeback by scoring the final two touchdowns before ultimately losing 31-24. A Griffin Oakes onside kick with a minute to go was recovered by Purdue to ice the game. 

IU’s offense was plagued by long stretches of inactivity on Saturday afternoon while Purdue running back Markell Jones ran all over the Hoosiers for 217 yards. The Hoosiers wound up outgaining Purdue 497-453 thanks to a couple garbage time drives that the Hoosiers used to make things close.

Richard Lagow, in what could be his final game for IU, threw the ball 60 times and finished with 373 passing yards and three touchdowns. Junior wide receiver Simmie Cobbs Jr. and freshman wideout Taysir Mack each had more than 100 yards and one receiving touchdown, but IU’s ground game couldn’t muster much aside from a 64-yard run by Ricky Brookins.

The Hoosiers finished the regular season at 5-7 overall and 2-7 in the Big Ten with the loss. They will cling to slim chances of making a bowl game with a 5-7 record, pending results of other games around the country. Purdue, meanwhile, moved to 6-6 with the win and will go to a bowl game for the first time since 2012. 

RECOVERY (1:01 - 4th quarter) - Purdue recovers an onside kick from Griffin Oakes and with no timeouts left, that will end IU's chances of winning.

TOCUHDOWN (1:01 - 4th quarter) - Whop Philyor scores on a nine-yard receiving touchdown. Hoosiers trail 31-24.

TOUCHDOWN (5:50 - 4th quarter) - Taysir Mack records his third TD grab of the season from four yards out. Hoosiers still up against it, though, trailing Purdue 31-17.

TOUCHDOWN: (12:32 - 4th quarter) - Isaac Zico with a four-yard touchdown reception for the Boilermakers. The Hoosiers are now down three touchdowns. IU trails Purdue 31-10.

END of 3rd quarter: Purdue leads IU 24-10 with one quarter to play in West Lafayette. 

FIELD GOAL (1:11 - 3rd quarter) - J.D. Dellinger converts a 26-yard field goal for the Boilermakers. Important hold by the IU defense to keep Purdue out of the end zone after the Boilers had a first and goal opportunity. 24-10 Purdue leads.

INJURY: With about nine minutes remaining in the third quarter, IU freshman running back Morgan Ellison was carted from the IU sideline with an injury. Ellison was taken to an ambulance waiting in the corner of Ross-Ade Stadium. It appeared to be a back injury for Ellison. The ambulance has left the stadium with Ellison.

HALFTIME: Purdue 21 IU 10. The Hoosiers were in need of a spark on offense before the half, and Ricky Brookins provided it with his long run. The Boilermakers still have an 11-point lead at halftime thanks to 14-0 straight points during the first half. Hoosiers to get the second-half kick. 

FIELD GOAL (0:08 - 2nd quarter) - A big 64-yard run from Ricky Brookins moves IU inside the Purdue red zone, and eventually inside the Purdue 10, but the drive stalls out just a fe yards short of the end zone. Griffin Oakes converts a 22-yard field goal. 21-10 Purdue leads.

TOUCHDOWN (0:53 - 2nd quarter) - Purdue strikes again just before halftime. A 49-yard TD pass from Elijah Sindelar to Anthony Mahoungou makes it 21-7 for the home team.

TOUCHDOWN (4:49 - 2nd quarter) -  After a long offensive lull in the game, Purdue pulls off a fake punt pass to get inside the IU 25. The Boilermakers take advantage of the good field position as well, as their drive ends with a four-yard sweep on a TD run by Jackson Anthrop, his second of the game. 14-7 Purdue leads. 

END of 1st quarter: IU and Purdue are tied 7-7. A poor start from the Hoosiers saw them trail 7-0 after an interception thrown by Richard Lagow, but a forced fumble on defense and a Simmie Cobbs Jr. touchdown catch have helped steady the ship in West Lafayette. 

TOUCHDOWN (4:14 - 1st quarter) - IU takes advantage of the Scales fumble recovery and ties the game. After working their way to the Purdue one-yard line, Simmie Cobbs Jr. hauls in his eighth TD of the season. 7-7.

FUMBLE (7:18 - 1st quarter) - A jet sweep by Purdue results in a fumble that is scooped up by Tegray Scales for IU. Huge momentum shift as the Hoosiers were sputtering before the play. 

TOUCHDOWN (12:08 - 1st quarter) - Purdue takes an early 7-0 lead following the Lagow interception. A five-yard touchdown run on a sweep play by Jackson Anthrop has the Boilermakers in front.

INTERCEPTION (12:12 - 1st quarter) - Richard Lagow's first pass of the game, on IU's first offensive play of the day, is intercepted by Purdue's Garrett Hudson. The pick is returned to the IU five-yard line.

* Both teams enter today's game with 5-6 overall records, meaning the winner will reach the six wins to be automatically bowl eligible, while the loser is likely out of the postseason picture. IU has won the last four Old Oaken Bucket games.

* Hello and welcome to the live updates page for today's Old Oaken Bucket game between IU and Purdue at Ross-Ade Stadium in West Lafayette, Indiana.