opinion oped editorial

EDITORIAL: It's too early to back a Biden candidacy

biden-illo

Former Vice President Joe Biden has recently become the focal point of much media speculation concerning his potential entrance into the 2020 presidential race. 

Biden has not yet officially launched his bid for the Democratic nomination, but his daughter, Ashley, has confirmed that her father is considering such an action, and he has expressed regret for not running in 2016. 

The Editorial Board fears, however, that Biden is a remnant of a bygone political era and is simply too distant from the modern Democratic philosophy altered by Trump’s presidency and the failures of Hilary Clinton’s campaign. 

Biden’s experience makes him an obvious contender for the Democratic nomination. 

As one of the youngest U.S. senators, he demonstrated great political skill, opposing the Reagan administration’s refusal to levy sanctions against the South African apartheid state, as well as Reagan’s potentially disastrous interpretation of Soviet-era arms limitation treaties. 

Biden went on to gain valuable experience in foreign policy and national security, and he was a strong advocate for women’s rights, gun control, environmentalism and comprehensive health care. 

Recently, he announced an initiative through the Biden Institute at the University of Delaware that will focus on improving areas of the labor sector ranging from integration of technology to education and civil rights. 

He has also, however, gained notoriety for being a blunt politician, prone to media gaffes and occasionally tactless ways of speaking to and interacting with the public. 

There is also the simple matter of age, which has detrimentally influenced public opinion of candidates such as Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vermont, in the past. Biden would be 77 in 2020, which would make him the oldest elected president by 7 years. 

Biden would certainly be preferable to one of the many celebrities farcically running for the presidential seat, but he can’t just be acceptable — he has to be the best candidate the Democratic party can put forward if it wants to effectively challenge a Trump reelection. 

It is possible that this "best candidate" may not be apparent until the election year. 

There are numerous strong contenders for the Democratic candidate besides Biden, including Sen. Kamala Harris, D-California, Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe and Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Massachusetts, who can often be found combatting President Trump on his favorite social media platform, Twitter

However, it is likely too early for any intense speculation about who will vie for the White House three years from now. 

“While Biden does have a strong resume and appeals to working class voters, I think it is a little early to begin picking frontrunners for the next Presidential election,” Terry Tossman, president of IU College Democrats, said in an email. 

It would be incredibly uncouth for anyone to announce a candidacy before the 2018 midterm elections, which could greatly shift the political landscape and change what each party will look for in a candidate. 

Until then, the Editorial Board will continue to monitor Joe Biden, whether as another meme, or a genuine source of progress and change in America.