Bloomington man dies after apparent heroin overdose

_RegionFiller_SP17.jpg

Bloomington resident Michael Sullivan, 35, was found dead Thursday evening at his girlfriend’s house on West Maybury Mall after a possible heroin overdose.

Sullivan’s 30-year-old girlfriend found him on the ground beside her bed. A hypodermic needle and a small plastic bag lined with a thin layer of what police believe is heroin were laid out beside him, Bloomington Police Department Captain Steve Kellams said.

The girlfriend’s 63-year-old father was watching television in the living room when she found him in the back bedroom. He told police he did not hear or see Sullivan the whole day.

The girlfriend told police she found out that morning that Sullivan was doing heroin. The two argued when she found out about his heroin use, and she left at 10 a.m. to do laundry. She told police she stayed out of the house the rest of the day because she was angry with Sullivan. When she returned at 7:35 p.m., she said Sullivan was already dead.

Kellams said Sullivan’s criminal history includes a misdemeanor for a burglary and failure to appear in court. He has no history of drug-related charges, Kellams said.

The incident follows a string of overdoses linked to a tan-colored heroin and spice, a synthetic form of marijuana, that took place early this summer. Police are still investigating the incident.