Police report cases of public intoxication, DWI during Welcome Week

_RegionFiller_SP17.jpg

Police reported 14 separate arrests for public intoxication during Welcome Week, the period between Aug. 13 and 20. There were also 11 cases of operating a vehicle while intoxicated and 12 cases of minors possessing or consuming alcohol.

Arrests made during Welcome Week
Sarah Lally

During Welcome Week, IU schedules programming such as Indiana Memorial Union and residence hall Late Nite activities in order to keep students new to campus safe and sober during the week before classes begin.

But with the influx of new students, IU Police Department and Bloomington Police Department officers often have to work in full force each year in order to prevent and handle alcohol-related arrests.

Cases of public intoxication can also involve forms of disorderly conduct. This Welcome Week, there were four reported cases of disorderly conduct, four cases of criminal mischief and one of maintaining a common nuisance, many of which occurred along Kirkwood Avenue.

There was one reported case of alcohol sale to minors. The arrest occurred at 8:30 p.m. Friday at 10th Street and College Avenue.

There were also five cases of possession of marijuana and three cases of possession of cocaine. One of the individuals arrested for cocaine possession was a 20 year old who allegedly was also publicly intoxicated, possessing or consuming alcohol while underage and making a false identity statement.

The two days leading up to Welcome Week included one case of public intoxication and two cases of operating a vehicle while intoxicated.

Year-round, IUPD works with local police officers from the BPD to handle crimes. IUPD's jurisdiction includes any property owned by the University, in addition to the entirety of Monroe County. 

Students can contact IUPD for non-emergencies such as thefts by calling 812-855-4111. Students can reach the BPD by calling 812-338-4477. In the case of an emergency, call 911.