Kilroy's Recess, formerly Kilroy's Dunnkirk, opens tonight

ci-recess2.jpg

Kilroy's Dunnkirk will reopen tonight as Kilroy's Recess, a new nightclub for patrons 18 and older. 

The new nightclub will be open at 10 p.m. with a show by an EDM DJ, SNBRN. 

"18-year-olds have nowhere to go," Kilroy's Director of Marketing, Nicole Freeman, said. "If you're not involved in greek life and you don't want to go to house parties, what can be an alternative option? A dance club."

The idea to transition from a bar to an 18-and-over nightclub stemmed from a partnership with IU's Kelley School of Business, Freeman said. As their semester-long project, marketing classes thought of ways to rebrand Kilroy's Dunnkirk when the idea for an 18-and-over club transpired.

The bar has been undergoing renovations on and off over the last year.

Research shows that electronic dance music is the most popular among college-aged adults right now, Freeman said. Focusing on this trend, improvements like a brand-new sound system and a $40,000 light show have been installed to create a fun environment for club-goers.

"I go out a lot and my friends and I go to a lot of EDM shows," junior Cecily Dronebarger said. "They're a great time."

However,  in an emailed statement, Mayor John Hamilton said he does not support the age change at the new club. 

“I am deeply concerned about a large, 18-and-over club, especially one located next to one of the highest-grossing college bars in the nation and practically on the front steps of Indiana University,” Hamilton said. “While I understand this may be a legal endeavor, personally, I don’t believe it is a good idea or in the best interest of public — especially student — safety.”

Though this is a new project for the owners of Kilroy's, management has done extensive research and traveled across the country to observe other 18-and-over nightclubs. 

Freeman said they are working closely with both IU Chief of Police Laury Flint and Dean of Students Lori Reesor to take care of concerns as well as speaking to Mayor Hamilton about any issues. 

"Our main focus is providing a fun and safe environment that keeps people excited to go out," Freeman said.  

The club will be using wristbands to distinguish between people under and over the age of 21 along with security throughout the club and in the bar area. 

Freeman also said students can look forward to live shows and events such as themed parties and DJ battles.The cover charge will vary depending on the day and the event, but on normal nights it will be between $5 and $10.

While management completes their new website, more information can be found on the new nightclub and their upcoming events through Facebook, Twitter or Snapchat @kilroysrecess.