Jacobs School of Music graduate students discuss new year

With classes beginning Aug. 21, the Jacobs School of Music gears up for another year of performance art and musical study. 

Emily Lamb and Mandy Wilk, master's students in the school of music, share some insight on life as music majors and what to expect in the coming school year.

“The Jacobs School, from what I’ve noticed, it really stresses the holistic musician and academic student," said Lamb, a second-year graduate student studying music theory. "We still have to do ensemble. Performance students take classes and do a bunch of different performing at different venues.”

Wilk, a second year master's student studying flute performance, said that rather than being just a conservatory, the music school focuses on academics and the performances.

“We have conservatory level, but we’re considered school of music,” Wilk said.

The benefits associated with a music school rather than a conservatory, which is a school exclusively focused on music, include the ability to move between performance-based studies to academically focused music theory, according to the school's website. 

Students in the music school have the opportunity to perform in one of the many music ensembles the school offers, including a philharmonic orchestra or the Latin jazz ensemble.  

The Jacobs School of Music is the largest accredited music school in the United States, according to its website, and has created a community of musicians and artists who are both committed and caring.

“A big pro with everyone being committed is it's a very inspirational school because everyone is really passionate about whey they do,” Lamb said.

“Everyone is very friendly," Wilk said. "It might be slightly cutthroat, but it's not like I’m not your friend."

For undergraduates, the music school has a broad range of offerings. Classes vary from jazz studies to ballet and music theory to audio engineering.

“Literally from baroque to mariachi, the wealth of music that is in the Jacobs School, there's so much that I’ve felt that I’ve grown by experiencing it,” Lamb said.  

Having spent many years as music students, Lamb and Wilk gave some advice for undergraduates beginning this semester.   

“Just be yourself, and study what you want to study," Lamb said. "Don’t feel pressured to do what you think you’re supposed to do because honestly I didn’t find music theory until the end of my junior year, and then I was sold,” Lamb said. 

“If you’re not feeling it, try other stuff," Wilk said. "College is about experimenting in all sorts of aspects."

This year the Jacobs School of Music will be offering a large array of concerts and productions. Everything from "Don Giovanni" in September to "West Side Story" in the spring. 

Besides these shows, there is an array of concerts and recitals put on nearly every night at various music halls around campus that are open to any IU student. 

The Jacobs School of Music website continually updates the calendar and information for shows and recitals. 

Don Giovanni
Sept. 14-15, 21-22 (Friday-Saturday) at 8 p.m.
Musical Arts Center, 101 N. Jordan Ave., IU Bloomington campus

West Side Story

April 6, 7, 13, 14 7:30PM
April 8 2PM

Single tickets available Aug. 1