IU dominates Xavier in first exhibition match

spIUMS2.jpg

IU opened its preseason schedule against Xavier on Monday night at Bill Armstrong Stadium, and proved why it was ranked seventh in the nation in the NCAA Coaches Poll. The Hoosiers defeated the Musketeers 3-1.

The match was divided into three segments, with a 30-minute private session followed by two 45-minute periods open to the public.

The Hoosiers won the private session 1-0. Senior forward Josh Lipe-Melton scored the IU goal after receiving a pass from junior midfielder Austin Panchot.

From the opening whistle of the match open to the public, the Hoosiers showed good ball movement and kept possession for most of the game. IU created chances from crosses into the Xavier penalty box, with freshman forward Mason Toye causing problems for the Xavier back line and goalkeeper.

IU Coach Todd Yeagley said he was impressed with Toye’s performance, but also said there is a lot of room for improvement from the young attacker.

“He likes to come underneath a lot and he’s got a phenomenal shot,” Yeagley said. “You felt danger when the ball was near him and I think our guys sensed that.”

The first goal of the game open to the public was courtesy of junior defender Timmy Mehl, who finished a free kick delivered by junior midfielder Trevor Swartz. The free kick from outside of the penalty box caused problems for the Xavier defense, and Mehl managed to poke the ball in the net using his outstretched leg.

Throughout the game, IU continued to show off its talented youth and also showcased its veterans. The Hoosiers' midfield managed to hold down the center of the pitch by controlling possession and feeding its wingers when they found space on the sideline.

The Hoosiers dominated possession the entire game, and freshman goalkeeper Jacob Gruber said he noticed it from behind the rest of the team in goal. He said the team tried to control the game and create chances from build-up play.

"We're trying to build more and keep possession, especially in the attacking third of the field," Gruber said.

The IU back line took care of every chance the Musketeers had until the second half, when Xavier got on the scoreboard. Following an off-target shot from Mehl, Xavier made the IU defense pay with a counter-attack goal.

“Overall I thought there was a few positioning mistakes, but our team defending was good,” Yeagley said. “Other than a few individual mistakes I thought we were solid and the goal that we allowed was an outlier of our performance.”

IU responded well by scoring a goal of its own just three minutes after Xavier's goal. Freshman midfielder Griffin Dorsey found some space outside of the six- yard box and his shot, which was deflected in front of the net, was finished by freshman forward Thomas Warr from point blank range.

“It’s what you dream of to get on the score sheet,” Warr said. “We were playing in front of family, and over all it was a good game for everybody.”

Gruber said he noticed the combination play between Dorsey and Warr. He said the match was a glimpse of what is to come. He credited the environment of the team, which he said is like a family, for its great play on the field.

“We’re pretty close-knit,” Gruber said. “The Warr and Dorsey combination is clicking like you saw tonight, and I think it’s going to be deadly this season.”

Yeagley said he's happy with where the team is at this point of the season and he said he has different players who bring a lot to the team. He said he was particularly impressed with Warr’s goal, and said the goal was the type the team needs this season.

Gruber played the entire game in goal for the Hoosiers, and he said he wasn’t expecting to play all 90 minutes of the match. 

Several freshmen played significant minutes along with Gruber, and appeared to blend in well with the veterans on the team. 

“Obviously there’s a period where we have to come together and get comfortable, but overall we’re comfortable now,” Warr said.

Warr said he, along with the rest of the underclassmen, are comfortable with the veterans so far and credits competition from practice to their strong play as a whole.

"It's huge between everyone, and everybody is pushing each other. It's a really healthy environment and it elevates our performance." 

IU will look to carry momentum from the win against Xavier into its next exhibition match against Louisville on Thursday night at Grand Park in Westfield, Indiana.