Weekend Guide to Summer Streaming

Arts Filler

BoJack Horseman 

BoJack Horseman is one of Netflix’s most delightful and dark shows.

The title character is a talking horse who used to be the star of a TGIF-style sitcom in the 1990s. Now, washed-up and well into middle age, he’s trying to find some semblance of happiness.

The excellent cast includes comedians such as Will Arnett and Amy Sedaris as well as more serious actors such as Aaron Paul and Angela Bassett. This show has a very absurd sense of humor and has been acclaimed as one of the more intelligent and empathetic portrayals of depression on streaming services. Watch on Netflix.

Black Mirror 

Commonly referred to as a 21st century update of “The Twilight Zone,” Netflix’s “Black Mirror” is a drama series exploring dystopian uneasiness for humanity’s technological advances, and how those advances affect society.

Each episode is a stand-alone story with new characters struggling to gain control over their lives in the wake of electronic misfortune. The show’s concepts are executed with an overwhelming sense of grim resignation.

“Black Mirror” may only have thirteen episodes across its three seasons, but each tale is a bleak reflection of an increasingly mediated world. Watch on Netflix

Futurama

Widely regarded as one of the best cartoons of all time, “Futurama” is a sci-fi comedy by Matt Groening, creator of “The Simpsons.” The series is centered around the lovable idiot Fry, who is cryogenically frozen in 1999 and wakes up a thousand years later in an era where robots, aliens and space travel have all become parts of life.

While the series is well-established at this point, Netflix is removing season six on July 1, so now’s the perfect time for a full-series marathon for newcomers and fans alike. Watch on Netflix.

Broad City

Abbi and Ilana are twenty-something New Yorkers, broke, flailing, and smoking a lot of weed. Current and relevant, outrageous and addicting, their adventures yield an original look into the relationships, lingo and obstacles of millennials figuring out the world.

“Broad City” has been credited for its “sneak-attack feminism”, as the protagonists embody the freedom, flaws and sexuality that many women try to negotiate, and their audacity reminds us to be our best selves.

You can watch them stumble through life making the most mundane events hysterical by streaming the first three seasons through Hulu in advance of the new season airing August 23 on Comedy Central. Watch on Hulu.

Game of Thrones

It’s summertime, but winter has finally come to the Seven Kingdoms. Season 7 of HBO’s binge-worthy epic is set to release on July 16. If you haven’t already caught up with the rest of the series — streaming on HBO NOW and HBO GO — now would be a great time.

This show is endeared to a huge audience around the world due to its multi-genre storyline. A sprawling multi-faceted epic that juggles an ensemble cast, “Game of Thrones” packs it all into one show — politics, action, sex, and of course, suspense. Oh, and death. Lots of death. Watch on HBO GO and HBO NOW.

The Ranch 

The Ashton Kutcher-starring TV series “The Ranch” debuted its 3rd season early in June. The light and entertaining comedy series revolves around Colt Bennet (Ashton Kutcher) who, after reaching a dead end in his football career, reconvenes with his dysfunctional family — including his father, played by Sam Elliot — on the family ranch. And like all great sitcoms, the titles follow a common naming scheme, in this case one inspired by classic country music. Watch on Netflix.