Public media groups win two Murrow Awards

WFIU-WTIU News and Indiana Public Broadcasting won two National Murrow Awards on Tuesday.

WFIU-WTIU News won a National Murrow Award for Best Social Media in the Small Market Radio category. Indiana Public Broadcasting won Best News Series in the Large Market Radio, according to a WFIU-WTIU press release.

The awards are distributed by the Radio Television Digital News Association, which awards 117 national Edward R. Murrow Awards in 15 categories.

WFIU-WTIU News and Indiana Public Broadcasting also won seven combined regional Murrow Awards in April, according to the press release.

WFIU-WTIU News, the largest public media news bureau in Indiana, received 49 awards this season. Indiana Public Broadcast, a partnership of 12 public broadcasting stations across the state, received 12 awards.

The organizations were honored by RTDNA, the Indiana Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists and the Indiana Associated Press Broadcasters Association.

The Murrow Awards are “a great recognition by the national judges of the work being done every day by our growing newsroom,” Perry Metz, the WFIU-WTIU general manager said. “We’re proud of what they have accomplished.”

WFIU-WTIU News, Indiana Public Broadcasting and other national award winners will be recognized at the Edward R. Murrow Awards Gala at Gotham Hall in New York City on Oct. 9.

The Murrow Awards are named for Edward R. Murrow, a broadcast journalist. The Murrow Awards are a highly respected journalism award, according to the press release.