COLUMN: Past reads cure nostalgia as year ends

Arts Filler

As spring semester begins to draw to a close, it’s difficult not to get nostalgic. While it’s too early for me to look back on the books I’ve read over the course of the semester, I can still reminisce about books I’ve read in the past.

Most of these books I read as far back as high school, and although I may have been forced to read some of them, I ended up valuing each experiences.

“To Kill A Mockingbird,” was one of the first books I read when I was in high school. The book is a classic and one of the first I read and thoroughly enjoyed .

There’s likely no need to go into plot details since it is a staple of modern American literature, but for those who haven’t read it, the novel deals largely with race relations in the south.

Although I have not read it again or read the controversial sequel “Go Set a Watchmen,” this book had a big impact on me. That is likely the case for many people, but I think the coming-of-age tale helped me come to terms with the transition of growing up.

Another American classic, “The Great Gatsby,” makes the list of books I read and enjoyed as a teenager. While “To Kill a Mockingbird” received what could be considered rave reviews from a group of high schoolers, which is to say they didn’t hate it, “The Great Gatsby” received more mixed reviews from my peers.

One thing I really enjoyed about Gatsby was the symbolism in the book. I also liked the fact that while there wasn’t a ton of action throughout the novel, it led up to large climax.

Of course, I also enjoyed reading about the glamour of Gatsby’s lifestyle. This was a stark contrast to Harper Lee’s description of rural Alabama in “To Kill a Mockingbird,” though the latter is set more than 10 years after the roaring ‘20s depicted in Gatsby.

I like reading books with imperfect characters, so F. Scott Fitzgerald’s creation of Jay Gatsby, a deeply flawed character who seemed to have it all, resonated with me.

Finally, a book I read during my junior year of high school, Frank McCourt’s memoir “Angela’s Ashes.” It depicts McCourt’s life from his early childhood in Brooklyn, New York, to the time he is 19 years old. During that time, he and his family moved back to Limerick, Ireland, where they struggled with poverty thanks to his alcoholic father.

Not only is the memoir moving, but it is extremely well-written. I found myself engrossed in the story and had difficulty putting it down. Hopefully I can find time to read it again soon.

As none of these books are new, and all have received their fair share of acclaim, I would recommend them to anyone who might be feeling a break from strictly contemporary literature. Sometimes it’s nice to give into nostalgia.