COLUMN: Students need to vote

The American system of government is predicated upon the participation of those who are governed. A government by the people and for the people draws its legitimacy from the voters.

For this reason, it is disappointing that turnout among people aged 18-29 was only 50 percent this past presidential election. Even worse, the last midterm saw only 9 percent of young people making sure their voices were heard. Sadly, this is still about four times less than the nationwide turnout that year of 34 percent, which was the 
lowest since WWII.

Needless to say, it is not good to have so few students participating. It has been shown that people who vote in their 20s are likely to continue doing so into their 60s. For this reason, I have been working with the College Republicans and Democrats at IU to open a polling location on campus. If IU pushes Monroe County government to open a new location, it will mean more students will have their voices heard.

IU’s political clubs are on the right track here. It is imperative that IU’s low student turnout be rectified. Perhaps if more students voted in national elections, more than 12 percent would vote in student government elections as well.

This is a necessary step to increase student turnout and engagement in the political process. By creating a convenient, centrally located polling station, students without transportation and open schedules will have an easier time casting votes.

We would like to see a new location opened, perhaps at the Indiana Memorial Union or Wells Library. Currently there are only two location for students on campus to vote at — Union Street and the football 
stadium.

Early voting is equally difficult for students, with the only locations downtown at the Election Central building and the Showers building. Though it would cost money at the county level, increasing voter turnout should be a paramount concern for local officials.

As anyone in town can testify, Bloomington is not the most drivable city, and parking is always its own headache.

This means there are numerous obstacles — class, work, logistics — that discourage students from voting. This assumes a student owns a car. If a potential voter is without their own transportation, add the byzantine bus schedules and delays to that list.

Students are not the most committed group of voters, if IU’s turnout is any indication. It is therefore necessary to reduce hurdles they face when voting if we want to see participation increase.

College Republicans and the IU Democrats are both groups dedicated to increasing student’s involvement in the political process. There is no better way to start students off on their political careers than by making voters out of them. Consider voting the gateway to further political participation. After taking that first step, students should feel more invested in the process and its 
outcome.

I believe that this issue represents a rare opportunity for bipartisan collaboration not often seen in today’s political clime. IU’s administration should authorize this project to proceed for the good of our campus and students.

zaochamb@umail.iu.edu