Spring break brings travel opportunities for students

People may avoid planning trips to California and Florida during early to mid March due to the annual exodus of college students to these places; however, there are trips for students to other parts of the country.

Some of these trips are sponsored by IU clubs, such as IU Outdoor Adventures and Cru at IU, and other trips are being planned by students alone.

Spring break is traditionally seen as a time for college students to kick back, relax, let loose and take a week to forget about the stresses of school. Hollywood movies, such as “Spring Breakers,” often portray this as a time for parties on Florida beaches, and while some students will opt to travel to somewhere with warm weather, many are choosing to travel the country in hopes of making a difference.

One opportunity for spring break travel can be found through Cru. Cru is an on-campus Christian ministry club that 
encourages its members to get out in the world and evangelize.

This spring break Cru is participating in an event through Big Break. Big Break is a Cru organization that creates conferences for college students to participate in during school breaks. A group of IU Cru club members are traveling to Panama Beach, Florida. While there they will be attending a conference. This conference is designed to teach the Cru students how to improve their evangelism skills. The students will also get some time to hang out on the beach and evangelise to the people around them.

“Community is a huge component of this trip, and there will be countless opportunities to meet new people,” trip leader Kendra Miller said.

The trip is open to all IU students, and Miller said Cru would love to have more people sign up.

Another campus organization, IU Outdoor Adventures, is taking four different trips this spring break. Students are headed to Chattanooga, Tennessee; Havasu Falls in the Grand Canyon; the Smoky Mountains; and Utah. This organization’s primary goal is to get students into nature by being active and having fun.

“There are still some spots open, especially for the Chattanooga trip,” trip leader Mitch McCune said.

McCune said the trips are a great way for students to do something adventurous. Activities on the trips include backpacking, whitewater rafting, 
camping and rock climbing.

All of the IU Outdoor Adventure trips will cost students between $500 and $850, with the more expensive trips being to the 
farther-off destinations.

IU Outdoor Adventures schedules trips whenever there is a scheduled school break, not just during the spring. This means that even if IU students can’t participate in adventures this spring break, there will be other opportunities in the summer and next 
winter.

The IU Outdoor Adventure group is also an option for international students. McCune said the group has many international 
students involved.

“Diversity and inclusion are a big part of our values.” McCune said.

Student visas make travel in the United States possible, and the IU Outdoor Adventure trips offer international students opportunities to see the country outside Bloomington.

However, not all international students will be jetting off for spring break. Some, like freshman Avi Jain , will be staying on campus for break.

“I will probably visit Indianapolis for a few days.” Jain said.

Jain said she sees it as important to familiarize herself with her local surroundings while saving money for future 
adventures.

“I’d like to travel to Europe in the future.” Jain said.

Spring break may not warrant enough time for full blown European adventure, but many IU students are still making the most of their breaks. Whether it is travel close to home or across the country, these organizations offer IU students the chance to explore the world around them and learn while doing it.

“It’s a great opportunity for students to come and do something adventurous.” McCune said.