COLUMN: College campuses not friendly for eating disorders

The journey for open and efficient conversations about mental health is a long and challenging one, especially on college campuses. Much progress has been made with common mental illnesses like depression and anxiety that are especially prevalent among college students, and many campuses like IU offer counseling and resources. While this is a positive step forward, many mental health issues are largely unaddressed and left to silently manifest themselves on college campuses.

According to the Walden Center, 20 percent of college students report struggling with an eating disorder.The college environment is a perfect place for those struggling to go undetected and unmonitored. The biggest factor is students living alone for the first time. Although it is not always the case, many eating disorders are developed in early adolescence. Living with parents or guardians can help these young adults have their habits monitored by a trusted adult. This completely disappears in college.

The truth is, absolutely nobody is looking out for you. Disordered habits of eating can be hidden completely when living alone. Those making the transition to college are going from a life of general schedules and monitoring to an environment where they essentially have to fend for themselves. Food is abundantly available, but nobody will notice if you don’t eat it.

The general stereotype is that eating disorders only exist in young girls, so due to internalized stigma many college students may not even recognize that they suffer from an eating disorder. This is especially true for males. The stereotype that this is only a problem for females is untrue. Eating disorders are found in 15 percent of college women and 7 percent of college males according to the Walden Center.

When we talk about eating disorders, we are taught that they are generally scary and gross. We are taught only the physical symptoms and many people are surprised to learn that eating disorders are a mental illness. Peers often make the comments like “why not just eat?” not realizing that these habits are mentally ingrained and a result of chemical imbalance.

In a study conducted by the National Eating Disorders Association, 72 percent of students reported that the stigmatization of eating disorders prevented outreach and proper use of available resources for help.  The scary truth is that eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness, and 20 percent of those who suffer from untreated eating disorders die. With so many college students silently suffering, it’s time to open up the conversation and change the way we think about eating disorders. Understanding will lead to a more open environment with easier access to resources giving those suffering the help they need.