weekend

Pasternack on the Past: 'Sabrina' is a perfect Valentine's Day watch

Sabrina

“Sabrina” is a light romantic comedy with surprising depth. Although it was made in 1954, excellent performances and sparkling dialogue make for a timeless viewing experience. It is one of the most enjoyable films that Billy Wilder, one of my favorite directors, has 
ever made.

This classic rom-com is about a chauffeur’s daughter named Sabrina, played by Audrey Hepburn. She’s in love with David Larrabee (William Holden), the ultra-wealthy playboy son of her father’s employer. David finally takes an interest in her after she returns from Paris, but this ends up threatening one of his business ventures. It’s up to his workaholic brother, Linus, played by Humphrey Bogart, to stop their affair, which eventually causes him to fall in love with Sabrina.

The most surprising quality about this film is its initial sadness. Sabrina’s unrequited love for David can be painful to watch. The filmmakers take her depression in a direction that most contemporary commercial filmmakers wouldn’t dare try to replicate.

This initial theme of sadness serves several functions. It makes us sympathize with Sabrina more because of the longing she feels. It builds a foundation of yearning in its first 18 minutes that anchors the later, lighter portions of 
the film.

In addition, these opening sequences give Hepburn the chance to show her range. She isn’t afraid to bring out the darker side of Sabrina’s unrequited love for David. Her evolution into a charming, happier person is all the more vivid after beginning in such a dark place.

Hepburn gives my favorite of her performances in “Sabrina.” She is endlessly charming and expertly delivers every line. She begins the film in darkness, but she also provides it a lot of its later light.

The supporting performances are also impressive. Holden is the right combination of charm and oblivious arrogance as David. John Williams is endearing as 
Sabrina’s father.

The weirdest casting choice is that of Bogart as Linus. Bogart starred in a lot of gangster films and cynical films noir. In fact, he only got this part when Cary Grant dropped out, but his usual seriousness combined with a surprising comedic timing end up making him an unexpectedly good fit for the role.

“Sabrina” has a lot of witty dialogue. Even the most minor of characters has a funny line or two. Wilder also packs the frame with great sight gags, such as shots of Linus demonstrating the strength of a miracle plastic.

Wilder made a lot of great films in the 1950s. Some of them still pack a potent cynical punch, such as “Sunset Boulevard” and “Ace in the Hole.” Others can bring a big smile to your face, such as “Sabrina” and “Some Like it Hot.” Most of them are brilliant dissertations on the challenges and pleasures of opening yourself up to new people or experiences.

“Sabrina” is an enjoyable movie. The beginning is surprisingly dark, but the remainder of the movie is all sweetness and light. For viewers willing to take a trip into the past this weekend, it will be a good Valentine’s Day watch.