Event presents letter-writing campaign

ciblueline

As they gathered at a table covered with pens, paper, stamps and postcards, a group of students and citizens wrote handwritten messages to their representatives to voice their opinions on issues such as reproductive rights, Barack Obama's health care law, immigration, education and LGBT rights.

The event, “Hoosiers Putting Pen 2 Paper,” took place Tuesday in Blueline Media Productions and provided an opportunity for people to write to their representatives about issues that are important to them.

The event was a response to a campaign from the Women’s March 10 Actions for the first 100 Days, which involves a series of actions people can take to express their opinions in the first 100 days of President Trump’s administration.

The first action involves writing postcards to politicians. The event provided the official postcards from the Women’s March on Washington. The cards have “Hear Our Voice” on them.

Organizers Abigail Springer and Jess Newlin said they attended the Women’s March on Washington and wanted to bring the energy back to Bloomington.

“The Women’s March was the first step, and this is the follow-up,” Newlin said.

On her postcard, Carol Karst-Wasson, 60, explained why she is concerned about the future of Planned Parenthood by describing her experience with the health care provider. She addressed her card to Rep. Susan Brooks, R-5th District.

“As a mother, I took both of my daughters for their first annual exams to be educated and prepared for choices they would make in their personal lives,” she wrote. “Keep PP funded!”

In addition to Planned Parenthood, Karst-Wasson said she is worried about issues like preserving "Obamacare" and protecting the environment.

Karst-Wasson said she was inspired by seeing the group writing about issues that matter to them.

“It gives me a lot of hope to see young people taking to the pen,” she said.

Jenny Christie, 29, said she was writing to Sen. Todd Young, R-Indiana, about protecting "Obamacare."

She is concerned repealing "Obamacare" could cause people to lose their health insurance and endanger lives, she said.

“As a woman with reproductive health concerns, I think it is in everyone’s interest regardless of income level that we have preventative care measures that are free,” she said. “We shouldn’t be punished based on our income or turned away from medical services.”

Deanna Frazier, 30, said she was writing to multiple representatives about various issues, including women’s rights.

It felt imperative to express herself in a way more tangible than an email, she said.

“There’s just so many issues that I don’t know where to start,” Frazier said.

IU junior Meg Davis said she was writing to Vice President Mike Pence and politicians representing her on both a state and federal level.

She wrote about LGBT issues, including her concern about recent bathroom bills targeting transgender people and LGBT discrimination in housing and employment.

Davis said she prefers letters to phone calls.

“Honestly, I do call my legislators, but calling them is a little more stressful,” she said. “Writing out my grievances comes a lot easier to me.”