Superintendent of Public Safety swears in

caswearing

In the presence of his wife and daughters, Benjamin Hunter was officially sworn in Thursday as superintendent of public safety at IU.

Hunter, a graduate of IU-Purdue University Indianapolis and the IU Police Academy program, said it was an honor to receive a position that meant so much to him and his wife, an IU alumna. IU is in their family, he said.

“It’s a homecoming for me to come here to IU after 22 years,” Hunter said. “It’s a professional dream.”

He said he wants to continue working on IUPD’s tradition of community policing, which has police build ties with individuals in the community and work with them to improve the area.

John Applegate, executive vice president for University Academic Affairs, said he is delighted to have Hunter take the position of superintendent. The position requires looking inward and outward, Applegate said. It requires someone who understands the department and can be the department’s public face.

“He’s vindicated the choice on both sides, and I think things will get better and better,” he said.

Hunter has similar feelings toward the department, which he said has a dedicated staff. In the past he has worked with the Indianapolis City Council and Police Department. He also served as the director of public safety and chief of police at Butler University.

After the ceremony Hunter left with his family to celebrate his new position.