Dance Theatre of Harlem brings contemporary style to IU Auditorium

Arts Filler

Through expressive dance numbers, featuring performers of different ethnicities and backgrounds, the Dance Theatre of Harlem’s audiences receive messages about light, love and belief.

The contemporary and classical dance institution performed on Saturday night at the IU Auditorium to a crowd of students, families and art-lovers.

The show was founded in 1969 by Arthur Mitchell and Karel Shook, both classically trained in ballet. They wanted to give “the opportunity to learn about dance and the allied arts” to the community in Harlem, according to the group’s website.

The performance was split into four sections, each with its own theme and style of music and choreography. The sections were “New Bach,” “Chaconne,” “Change” and “Vessels.” Freshman Saraye Stringer said one in particular, “Change,” stood out to her.

“I felt like the one with the three girls says we should be coming together rather than being torn apart by what’s going on right now,” Stringer said.

“Change” was performed by Chyrstyn Fentroy, Ingrid Silva and Stephanie Rae Williams and was inspired by women of color. Wendy Bernstein, 71, said she found the subject matter of this and other pieces timely given the recent events in politics.

“The powerful women are so appropriate right now after last weekend,” Bernstein said. “After all the marches, we need every uplifting 
positive sense we can get.”

Various classes, workshops and demonstrations were offered during the Dance Theatre of Harlem’s almost weeklong residency at IU.

Elizabeth Burr, a senior and contemporary dance major, said she attended one of the master classes and was taught that it’s very important to get the strict ballet technique down but also add in some old dance styles.

“I really appreciate dance forms like that because there’s this big separation between high art and low art,” Burr said. “People consider high art to be ballet or dance performed on stage, and they, meaning society, consider low art to be club dancing and stuff you do on the weekends, so it’s fun to see how you can combine that and kind of push the boundaries.”

The Dance Theatre of Harlem is known for incorporating modern dance styles into its classical ballet pieces and drawing inspiration from clubs and street performances. Freshman Jose Diaz said he liked the mixture of styles featured in the show and felt compelled to come back to IU Auditorium after attending the Potpourri of the Arts Concert last fall.

“Overall I really liked the show,” Diaz said. “It was a great performance and a great display of the art that’s offered here at IU.”

With its culturally driven choreography, moving visuals and use of classical scores, the Dance Theatre of Harlem encourages audiences to contemplate the 
society they live in.

“The show has been saying a lot without saying 
anything,” Stringer said.