COLUMN: Seven superlatives for IU football

The Hoosiers celebrate their victory against Purdue on Saturday at Memorial Stadium. IU won 26-24 to win the old oaken bucket trophy for the fourth-straight year.

The holidays are well underway, which offers us a chance to look back on the season that was for IU.

Your gift this season is seven fun superlatives about IU football players.

Best Hair: Senior wide receiver Mitchell Paige

In the preseason, the senior wide receiver dyed his hair blonde and it certainly made a bold statement. His decision to change his hair color worked out well, as it was a fun way for him to start the year. While he didn’t keep it for the whole season, when he did have it, it was the best hair on the Hoosiers.

Most Likely to be in a Fast & Furious Movie: Junior quarterback Zander Diamont

The junior quarterback is retiring from football after this season, and with acting already running in his family, a career in Hollywood could be in his future. Diamont also boasts one of the biggest personalities on the team and it wouldn’t be a huge surprise to see him star in a few movies in the next decade. He should find himself in the 11th Fast & Furious movie in no time.

Best Bromance: Junior linebackers Tegray Scales and Marcus Oliver

When Tom Allen came in and changed IU’s defense, the most noticeable change was the fact that there would only be two linebackers on the field in the base package. Those two linebackers were Oliver and Scales and their strong play transformed IU’s defense this season. Nothing can top this duo.

Most Likely to become President: Junior quarterback Richard Lagow

The Texas native quarterback has all the requisite skills to be a successful president. After every game, Lagow deflected credit and effusively praised his offensive lineman and wide receivers. He was able to talk a lot, without making any missteps or saying anything too juicy, just as a president would need to do. He also vacillated between moments of brilliance and bone-headed decisions, similar to what happens when the President has so many decisions to make on a daily basis.

Most Likely to Spit in Showalter Fountain: Senior defensive lineman Ralph Green III

The lasting image from this past season was of the senior defensive lineman holding the Old Brass Spittoon like a baby. We learned after the game that Green spit in the trophy, which is a total boss move. So, if you ever find someone spitting in IU’s iconic fountain, it’s most likely going to be Green.

Most Likely to Open up a Dunkin Donuts in Bloomington: Sophomore offensive lineman Delroy Baker

Bloomington sorely lacks this fine donut and coffee establishment. But, who is most likely to be able to successful make donuts? A Baker.

Most Likely to win a eating contest featuring Skyline chili: Freshman cornerback A’shon Riggins

A lot of people will try to tell you that Skyline chili is trash. It’s actually terrific food. Riggins is from Hamilton, Ohio, which has multiple Skyline locations. He came in as a freshman and impressed at the corner position, something that’s not easy to do. Neither is eating ten chili cheese conies in an hour, but don’t tell Riggins that.

aphussey@indiana.edu

@thehussnetwork