COLUMN: Never stop learning

Last summer, prior to beginning my penultimate year at IU, I was given a piece of advice I will never forget.

For many young adults, the ages of 19 to 20-something are characterized by self-reflection, navigating the confusing path of quasi-adulthood and searching for one’s proper place in the world. Some find that place sooner than others.

During such a transitional and introspective period of my life, three words seemed to assuage my apprehensions and provide direction where so many guidance counselors and career coaches had failed.

Never stop learning.

I’ve tried my best to take those words to heart. Coming from a business background, my decision to apply for Opinion editor could be perceived as a curious one. I’ve always found writing to be a therapeutic exercise, but I viewed this as an opportunity to diversify my skills and leave my realm of comfort.

More than anything, it was an opportunity to learn about the journalistic process, something I had little formal experience with prior to this semester. Given the current state of social and political affairs, I could not have helped manage the Opinion section at a time more conducive to learning, not just about journalism, but about people.

The outcome of November’s election highlighted the stark racial, cultural and economic divides that have stratified our nation. The first step to bridging these seemingly irreparable divisions is a willingness to learn. Stubbornness breeds ignorance, and the extreme factions of both political parties are by far the worst offenders.

Be open to opposing lines of thought, even if they seem ridiculous.

I’ve been troubled by the sheer volume of biased Donald Trump coverage in the media. Liz Spayd, public editor of the New York Times, even acknowledged this bias, conceding that some of the tweets from Times journalists were "over the line." In 2016, the word ‘Trump’ was mentioned in more than 11 percent of all the Times' articles. Conservative news site Breitbart entered the mainstream this year as well with equally one-sided smears against liberals.

In both cases, it’s generally the same recycled narratives cropping up again and again. Diversify the methods by which you consume news. Dig deep, and don’t be afraid to ask “Why?” five or six times in succession.

Bloomington may not be the most ideologically balanced community, but few places fall smack-dab in the center of the political spectrum. The point is knowledge generally doesn’t gravitate to us — we have to seek it.

As we continue to transition into what some imperfectly refer to as the real world, we would be wise to follow the examples provided by Thomas Jefferson and the fathers of the American Enlightenment, who refuted many axioms and perceived truths of 18th century society. Question everything, and make an effort to practice careful self-reflection before scrolling down to the comments section.

This semester, I’ve had the privilege of writing with people with extremely varied backgrounds and interests. I’ve read columns written by well-informed individuals on topics ranging from politics to pop culture.

Well, maybe more of the former.

Nonetheless, it’s been a useful exercise in broadening my perspectives on a multitude of issues and considering points I previously would have blindly shot down.

So whether or not our opinions have influenced yours these last several months, I hope you learned a thing or two.

dkilcull@indiana.edu

@daniel_kilc_