IU begins final stretch of nonconference with Florida

Karlee McBride plays during NCAA Tournament Second Round Monday. IU lost against Notre Dame 70-87.

IU women's basketball has taken some lumps in the non-conference schedule, but with a four-game winning streak in progress, the Hoosiers will get a chance to score one last big win before Big Ten play when they battle Florida Tuesday at 7:45 p.m.

The Hoosiers are 8-3 but have lost their last two road games against Power 5 schools. While Tuesday's game against the 7-3 Gators isn't a true road game, Florida has a geographic advantage playing at the Florida Sunshine Classic in Winter Park, Florida. Florida's campus is a little more than 100 miles away, while the Hoosiers are visiting their sixth different state in less than two months.

IU is still looking for a signature non-conference win, and with Florida ranked 22nd in the RPI, the matchup will present a quality opportunity to pick up that statement victory. Against previous opponents in the top 100, the Hoosiers struggled with defense and foul trouble.

IU's appeared to have sharpened up on both sides of the ball during its four-game win streak. The Hoosiers haven't allowed more than 59 points or turned the ball over more than 13 times in any of their last three contests.

Against Florida, IU will likely continue to prioritize controlling the boards. The Gators average about 45 rebounds per game behind senior forward Ronni Williams' team-leading 8.3 per game.

The Gators shoot the ball well overall, but not from distance. Florida is hovering around 26 percent mark from three this season, which should allow the Hoosiers to pack bodies in the paint to prevent easy layups and offensive rebounds.

On the other end of the court IU will need its run of strong shooting to continue. The Hoosiers enter the game with the nation's fourth-best field goal percentage, 50 percent, with much of that success coming from its post players. Senior forward Jenn Anderson is shooting 63 percent from the floor and sophomore forward Kym Royster boasts a 60 percent field goal rate.

Florida has just nine players who've registered minutes this season, and only seven who play more than 13 minutes per game. IU's up-tempo offense could conceivably wear down the Gators. 

After a home win over Oakland on Saturday, IU Coach Teri Moren said in her postgame press conference she is still concerned with her team's ability to play a complete game. In the blowout wins IU has registered lately, sloppy fourth quarters have only served to change the margin of victory for the Hoosiers. 

A fourth-quarter collapse against Florida would likely lead to a repeat of the loss at Auburn last month, and rob IU of a signature win that could boost its tournament resume.