academics & research

Two IU faculty members to be named AAAS fellows

Two IU faculty members have been named American Association for the Advancement of Science fellows. The distinction recognizes contributions to the progress of science and research, according to a Nov. 21 press release.

Volker Brendel, professor in the Department of Biology and the School of Informatics and Computing, and Kenneth Mackie, professor in the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, are the two 2016 fellows.

“The groundbreaking work of these two distinguished scientists is pulling back the curtain on the inner workings of our minds and our natural world,” IU President Michael McRobbie said in the release. “Their work speaks to Indiana University’s ongoing commitment to excellence in basic science research, which provides the foundation for new insights and innovations that can lead to major improvements in human health.”

Peers in the association elect the fellows each year. Brendel was chosen for his contributions to genomics and bioinformatics, specifically the development of tools to analyze plant genes and genomes. Mackie was chosen because of his contributions to neuropharmacology, specifically research understanding the actions of exogenous and endogenous cannabinoids in the nervous system, according to the release.

Brendel has advanced the development of new computational tools to understand genetic data in modern genomic sequencing methods, according to the release. Mackie has researched the therapeutic applications of endogenous cannabinoids, compounds produced by the body similar to many effects of tetrahydrocannabinol.

Steering groups of the association’s 24 sections nominate members for the honor, which began in 1874. This year, 391 will join the AAAS. IU’s two fellows this year will bring the University’s number of all-time fellows up to 94.

During the 2016 AAAS Annual Meeting on Feb. 18 at the AAAS Fellows Forum in Boston, the new fellows will receive a certificate and pin.