arts iu cinema

Son directs film about his diplomatic ambassador father

Arts filler image

David Holbrooke, director of “The Diplomat” and the eldest son of the late Ambassador Richard Holbrooke, is scheduled to be present at the IU Cinema’s screening of the film at 7 p.m. Thursday, according to a press release.

The documentary film follows Richard, who died in 2010, during his 50-year career in foreign policy, spanning from the Vietnam era to the Afghanistan era.

He was an adviser for John Kerry’s presidential campaign in 2004 and Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign in 2008.

He was also a special adviser on Pakistan and Afghanistan for President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Clinton from 2009 until he died in 2010 from surgery complications.

Richard was the United States Ambassador to Germany from 1993 to 1994.

He worked together with the Swedish prime minister at the time, Carl Bildt, to arrange a peace agreement during the war in Bosnia that led to the signing of the Dayton Peace Accords that ended the war.

“The Diplomat” premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival in 2015 on the anniversary of the signing of the accords.

This was considered Richard’s greatest achievement, according to the release, as it granted him international recognition.

The film is told from David’s perspective as Richard’s son, giving him behind-the-scenes access to the inner workings of diplomacy and government, according to the release.

David’s visit to IU is made possible by a partnership between the School for Global and International Studies, The Media School and IU Cinema.

He will also appear for a discussion with students at 3 p.m. in the atrium of the School of Global and International Studies building, according to the release.