Seniors make history in Hoosier victory

The Hoosiers celebrate their victory against Purdue on Saturday at Memorial Stadium. IU won 26-24 to win the old oaken bucket trophy for the fourth-straight year.

As IU prepared to take on Purdue in another Old Oaken Bucket matchup, there was history to be made.

The senior class — a mix between the Class of 2013 and redshirt players from the Class of 2012 — had the potential to guide the program to four consecutive Old Oaken Bucket wins for the first time in 69 years and two straight bowl berths in 25.

It wasn’t pretty, just like the season wasn’t.

The Hoosiers turned the ball over four times, committed nine penalties and struggled to run down the clock with a 4-point lead.

But the Hoosiers got the win — that sixth win to become bowl eligible — that fourth straight win against Purdue, 
26-24.

“Come from behind to get the rival win, to get a win to get six, to have a meaningful game in November,” IU Coach Kevin Wilson said. “When you don’t play well but still play well enough to win — a lot to build on, a lot to 
work on.”

Consistency on both sides of the ball is what the Hoosiers are looking for, Wilson said. That’s not what IU showed against Purdue.

Junior quarterback Richard Lagow threw an interception on his second pass of the game, then led IU on a touchdown drive, just to throw another interception on the third drive.

Junior backup quarterback Zander Diamont threw a second-half interception before junior running back Devine Redding, who had 63 yards in the first half, even touched the ball after 
halftime.

The defense surrendered an uncharacteristic 9-of-19 third down conversions, but had 11 tackles for loss and three takeaways.

“It was really good to overcome the adversity we had in that game,” senior receiver Mitchell Paige said. “We had a lot of turnovers, things we can fix — need to fix — for whoever we have in that bowl game.”

That adversity was a fitting way to end the regular season for IU, as there were injuries on the offensive line, losses of last year’s leading passer, rusher and receiver and a second-to-last ranking in the Big Ten in turnover margin.

Diamont — who announced he is retiring from football after the bowl game this season — said the game reminded him of 2014, when he led the Hoosiers to the second of the four straight Bucket wins, after former Hoosier quarterback Nate Sudfeld suffered a shoulder injury early in the season.

Seasons like that 4-8 2014 season and the 5-7 2013 season haven’t made it easy for the Hoosiers, but they find themselves in the same spot as last season, beating Purdue to clinch the sixth win.

It doesn’t feel the same though.

Wilson had to cheer on his players to be louder in the locker room after the win, and after the loss in last year’s bowl, junior cornerback Rashard Fant said there’s business to be done between now and this season’s bowl game.

There are some remnants of what could have been one of the best seasons in IU football program history. But that’s football, Wilson said throughout the season, and that’s how the cards were dealt. Now the Hoosiers need to move on.

Despite the expectations coming into the season compared to the reality of the 2016 regular season, the seniors achieved history in a way not many classes do.

And it’s paying off in bowl berths.

“I love the guys,” Paige said. “I came back because I love all the dudes in the locker room. It’s nice to get another trip, wherever it’s at. It shows how far this program has come just since I’ve been here.”