COLUMN: ​Melania Trump might bring a new dress code to the White House

entfashion

In one of Melania Trump’s most recent appearances on the show “60 Minutes,” we saw the future First Lady of the United States in a hip-hugging, vibrant red dress. As I saw this look I began to think of how the current first lady and her daughters have been closely watched to ensure they follow a certain dress code.

Flashing back to 2009, Michelle Obama was scrutinized for showing off her triceps and biceps in a sleeveless black dress in her first official photo as the 
first lady.

According to ABC News, critics deemed showing shoulders was completely the wrong style at the 
wrong time.

Then in 2014, Malia Obama, at just 16 years old, was given a hard time for wearing a “super short white skirt” that “nearly flashes Press Corps,” according to 
mrconservative.com.

At times the criticism wasn’t even related to the clothing worn by the First Lady but their overall physique. Jackie Kennedy and Nancy Reagan both faced scrutiny for have too tiny of waists.

Clearly the attire of the women who have lived alongside the president has been followed very closely. However, it isn’t necessarily what these women are wearing, but how much it covers.

There always seems to be an eye watching for a hemline that is too short or a neckline that is too low on the first lady.

While one may assume the same treatment will go for Melania’s White House stay, it’s important to note that the women to live in the White House in years past have a very different backstory than Melania.

While Donald Trump has done things rather differently as a presidential candidate and has the most abnormal background compared to presidents past, we shouldn’t forget how different of a story the upcoming first lady offers as well.

Melania has a long history of modeling. From Harper’s Bazaar to Sports Illustrated, she has dominated the cover of countless magazines. It was just 15 years ago that she starred in GQ’s boudoir profile shoot that took place on Trump’s Boeing 727 airplane. In some photos, she was dressed in very revealing clothes and lingerie, and in others, she was completely naked.

However, her modeling days run back far before she was dating Donald Trump. The Slovenian native is said to have began modeling at 16 
years old. Her modeling career continued to flourish as she worked in Milan, Paris and eventually the U.S.

While I have nothing against models who choose to pose semi- or completely nude, I thought that this factor would be a deal-breaker for the American people when Michelle Obama can’t even get away with a little bit of shoulder action.

However, like many issues surrounding Trump in the election, it didn’t seem to end up being too bothersome to voters.

I can’t help but wonder if Melania’s modeling history will allow her more liberty with attire. While the analyzed her apparel on the campaign trail — for example, her pussycat bow at the second debate, which started a huge conversation — perhaps the buzz on what she wears will die down now that all is said and done.

The difference is that by electing Trump, the American people stated that they are able to see beyond her fashion choices of the past, even though they stray from the conservative look most first ladies have been demanded to follow.

Perhaps the conversation of her wearing a skirt an inch above her knee or a blouse a little to low will be avoided, and the world will focus less on calling out the first lady for not following the societal standards they have decided for her.

As many have said about the changes coming to the White House, only time 
will tell.

apoudrie@indiana.edu

@adelepoudrier