Heisman candidate will be a matchup nightmare for the Hoosiers in Ann Arbor

Wide receiver Ricky jones is unable to complete a pass on Saturday at Ryan Field in Evanston, ILL. Indiana lost to Northwestern 24-14.

Heading to Ann Arbor, Michigan, this weekend to play the No. 3 Wolverines, the Hoosier offense, defense and special teams have a clear priority: Find No. 5.

Junior Jabrill Peppers is listed as a linebacker and a defensive back on Michigan’s roster, but that’s just because there isn’t room for 11 more positions next to his name.

That’s right. He’s played 13 positions this season.

The Heisman candidate has seen his time on all three sides of the ball. He has returned kicks for the nation’s second-best punt returning team, rushed from the Big Ten’s second-best backfield and played linebacker for the best defense in the country.

“Adding Peppers to the mix creates a new dimension that aw lot of teams don’t have,” IU defensive coordinator Tom Allen said. “Any time you have a guy like that that’s a nationally recognized player, he’s a very talented guy. You just gotta know where he is at all times.”

The Hoosiers haven’t played many teams against which they needed to have a gameplan for the opponent’s best defender to be on the offensive side of the ball as well.

Peppers leads the Wolverine defense in solo tackles, tackles for loss and quarterback hits. He’s second in sacks and total tackles and has one of Michigan’s six forced fumbles.

He also creates havoc on defense in a way that doesn’t necessarily show up on that stat sheet because he is able to line up at linebacker — inside and outside — nickelback, both safety positions, cornerback and gunner on the punt team.

Defense is where he makes the biggest difference on the stat sheet, but Allen and IU Coach Kevin Wilson both know his ability to make game-changing plays on offense as well.

The junior has scored three touchdowns from the running back position and has returned one punt for a touchdown. He averages 63.8 all-purpose yards per game from both kick return spots, running back, wide and slot receiver and wildcat quarterback.

When asked how to deal with such a versatile player, Wilson didn’t go into much detail but said Peppers will move according to where other players aren’t matched up against the Hoosier offense.

“Sometimes it looks like they’ll take a guy like Peppers and, based on matchups, almost have him as an inside linebacker because they need him playing man-to-man against that type of athlete,” Wilson said. “Next week it might be against a tight end or a slot player.”

There aren’t a lot of defenders that can defend both tight end and slot receiver, but Peppers has proven effective in nearly every scenario he’s faced on the Michigan defense.

That’s why Allen called him a very special player. Peppers is put in his positions for a reason and produces in every spot.

Opposing coaches just never know where he’s going to be, IU offensive coordinator Kevin Johns said about Peppers.

“You never really know where he’s going to line up or where they’re going to put him, and he can create problems,” Johns said.

While Peppers is causing coaches to scratch their heads, the junior Renaissance man isn’t the only playmaker on Michigan’s team.

Freshman running back Chris Evans averages 7.8 yards per carry. Receiver Amara Darboh and tight end Jake Butt have combined for 1,306 yards and 10 touchdowns through the air. Defensive ends Chris Wormley and Taco Charlton both have five sacks, and cornerback Channing Stribling has four interceptions.

“They’re going to try to get him touches,” Wilson said about Peppers. “At the same time, he’s a heck of a defensive player, but their whole defense plays great defense. They’re stout on D.”