COLUMN: ​Crooked, and illegitimate

Today’s the big day. No one can predict the outcome. For all his modeling and polling and analytics, Nate Silver said Donald Trump has a better chance of becoming president than the Cubs did of winning the World Series, so there’s that.

Some in the Republican Senate are preparing to watch their nominee go down tonight and, as such, are making contingency plans. Already, Sens. Rand Paul, R-Kentucky; John McCain, R-Arizona; and Ted Cruz, R-Texas, have suggested they would block any and all Clinton appointments to the Supreme Court.

This sort of pre-election maneuvering is perhaps unprecedented. It is also completely correct. If elected, Hillary Clinton will be an illegitimate president. As such, Republicans in Congress should feel no pressure whatsoever to work with her on the Supreme Court or any other issue.

Hillary Clinton is only able to be a presidential candidate because of illegitimate actions from the current government. Therefore, her potential rise to power is built upon illegitimacy.

Scandal and crime have followed the Clintons wherever they go. Whether it was real estate and cattle investments in Arkansas or the more recent private server and subsequent hacking, leading to recurring headaches from Wikileaks for her campaign, the Clintons are the embodiment of crooked.

Never before has a presidential candidate, while under FBI investigation, used BleachBit to destroy subpoenaed information. Never before has the director of the FBI rewritten the law to avoid prosecuting a presidential candidate — twice.

Just this weekend, it was revealed Clinton sent confidential information to her daughter, and had her maid print classified information.

Now there are reports from the Wall Street Journal the Department of Justice is pushing back against the FBI’s investigations into the Clintons. Corruption defends corruption, it appears.

If she wins, Hillary Clinton will take office deeply crippled by scandal, assuming she makes it to inauguration without being indicted. Remember, the Clinton Foundation is still under investigation, as is accused child predator Anthony Weiner, someone the Clintons are disturbingly close to.

If this occurs, congressional Republicans should resist Clinton at every turn. Four more years of gridlock is infinitely preferable to Clinton turning the United States into her own personal kleptocracy.

The only way of preventing such a thing necessitates supporting Donald Trump for office. He is a question mark, but he is not a known negative. Hillary Clinton is unqualified due to malfeasance and decades of wrongdoing while in or near power.

Institutional decay is true threat to civilization. That Hillary Clinton is not filing shivs and brewing pruno behind bars is proof of what such decay can inflict upon this country. A plurality president with a hostile media and incomplete support within his own party, as Donald Trump would be, is easily checked by Congress and the courts.

This makes Trump a much safer choice for America than the candidate that has been working the system for decades to her own advantage.