student life

Organizations, survivors raise awareness for sexual violence

Students and community members march against sexual assault and violence and walk down to courthouse from Dunn Meadow on Thursday evening.

Omega Phi Beta was one of many clubs and individuals gathered to advocate for survivors of sexual and domestic abuse at Take Back the Night.

Take Back the Night is a yearly event planned by the IU Feminist Student Association in cooperation with organizations related to sexual abuse. It features a poetry reading as well as a march to the Monroe County Courthouse, culminating in an opportunity to speak out for sexual assault and domestic violence survivors.

The event has taken place for around 10 years. This is the fourth year the Feminist Student Association’s president, Carmen Vernon, has attended it, 
she said.

Vernon said a key message this year and in years prior is healing for victims through storytelling.

Two IU students and a professor recited poems about their experiences with sexual and domestic abuse. Evelyn Smith of Middle Way House, a shelter for domestic abuse victims and rape crisis center, also spoke.

One attendee, Ryleigh Beatty, came because she was interested in the cause, but also to support her friends who have been affected by sexual abuse.

“IU really needs to step up their game,” Beatty said. “They need to own it and realize it’s a problem.”

One campus group that seeks to improve sexual education on campus is Raising Awareness of Interactions in Sexual Encounters. The group works with many different groups on campus, including fraternities, sororities and classes, to lead discussions and teach about sexual situations.

Karis Neufeld is a RAISE member who represented the organization at Take Back the Night.

She said some of her work the prior year included going to fraternities during pledge week and facilitating conversations on communication and sexual assault.

Neufeld said Take Back the Night is a great way for organizations like RAISE to not only educate people about their work, but also network with other clubs that support survivors.

“It’s another way to find like-minded people and connect other organizations,” Newfeld said.

From Vernon’s perspective, too, the night was about providing strong support for survivors.

“It’s more common than they think it is,” Vernon said about what she hopes people take away from Take Back the Night. “It’s happening to someone they know, and that person may not have told them. It’s a very personal topic. People keep it bottled up. You should always be asking questions and being more proactive.”

Shortly after the speeches, attendees took part in a silent march down Kirkwood Avenue to the courthouse.

Vernon said the purpose behind the silence was to emphasize the healing aspect of the march. She said it takes place to show the support network available for sexual abuse survivors, not to demand anything.

The band of people from Dunn Meadow walked down Indiana Avenue as the sun set, then turned down Kirkwood Avenue, stopping traffic so the large group could cross.

At the end of the line, two Omega Phi Beta members trailed, survivor’s suitcase in hand, depicting the burden survivors continue to face.

“We shouldn’t be scared to walk in darkness,” Vernon said. “We shouldn’t be scared for our safety when we walk at night.”