arts iu auditorium

The Strokes guitarist Nick Valensi to perform at IU Auditorium

Arts filler image

Nick Valensi will open for singer-songwriter Beck with his new band CRX at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at IU Auditorium.

CRX is the new project from Valensi, who is best known for being the founding member and lead guitarist of American rock band the Strokes.

However, according to an article from BB Gun Press, Valensi said the members of the Strokes don’t often play together anymore and he felt an urge to perform live again.

“I was at a place where I got really hungry to perform in front of audiences and do things a little more simply,” Valensi said in the article.

Valensi will work in the band as the lead singer and primary songwriter, according to the article.

The band also includes Jon Safley, Richie Follin, Ralph Alexander and Darian Zahed as members.

Bloomington will be the second-to-last stop for its tour this year, according to the band’s website.

CRX will also release its debut album later this year, according to the article. This year also marks the 15th anniversary of the Strokes’ first record. Valensi said in the article he is excited to be singing in a group performing on stage once more.

“I’m really enjoying the feeling of having to work hard to win people over,” Valensi said in the article. “It’s like being a kid again — like everything is new and kind of scary but irresistibly fun, too.”