community events

Local Bloomington volunteer opportunities announced

Charlotte Zietlow, the founder of the Bloomington Commission on the Status of Women, speaks on their 40th anniversary Wednesday at Bloomington City Hall. Zietlow called for continued equality and improvement in economic development in Bloomington.

The City of Bloomington Volunteer Network announced its volunteer opportunities for the month of October.

Host Families

Safe Families for Children is a Christian organization that screens and trains host families to care temporarily for children whose families are in crisis and have no one else to call. This is a preventive program, not an alternative to foster care. Minimum age to become a host parent is 25.

Nonprofit Board Certificate Seminar — Oct. 21

The City of Bloomington Volunteer Network is offering the Nonprofit Board Certificate Seminar from 1 to 5 p. m. Oct. 21. The class composition is usually a mix of current board members — both seasoned and not — and those who have never served on a board but are interested in serving. Participants are intended to leave with a greater understanding of their responsibilities, obligations and expectations — legally, financially and ethically. The cost is $25 per person in advance or $30 at the door.

Recorder for Women’s Commission

The City of Bloomington Commission on the Status of Women is seeking a volunteer to record minutes at monthly commission meetings in City Hall. This group meets on the first Thursday of each month from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Meetings are open to the public. Women’s issues such as health, education and equality are discussed. In addition, events, projects and services that benefit women are planned. A volunteer with a laptop is preferred but not required. The volunteer must be committed to attend the monthly meetings. Minimum age for this position is 21.