sports volleyball

IU volleyball looks to take down in-state rival Purdue

Indiana University Women Volleyball cheers before they start competing against the Northwestern on Wednesday.

IU will seek to defy recent history and defeat No. 10 Purdue in West Lafayette on Saturday, a feat it has not accomplished since 2009.

In fact, the Hoosiers (12-2, 1-0) trail the in-state and Big Ten rival Boilermakers (10-2, 0-1) 62-34 in the all-time series and have dropped the last seven matches against them.

“The rivalry is huge in volleyball, too,” IU Coach Dunbar-Kruzan said. “We’ll get the crowd. They moved the match to Mackey Arena so we’ll get the whole rivalry experience. I think we know what to expect now with a big crowd and we’ll be ready to go. We are confident in our style of play.”

Senior middle blocker Jazzmine McDonald, who ranks 16th in the NCAA in hitting percentage at .413, said the seniors have been looking forward to this match more than any other this season.

“Beating Purdue in West Lafayette would mean so much,” McDonald said. “Us seniors have been talking about it. We have never beaten them since we have been here, and it’s a big rivalry, so we are really looking forward to some good competition because they bring it 
every game.”

IU’s victory in its first Big Ten match of the season against Northwestern on Wednesday gave the players confidence they will need to use over their next four matches, as all of their opponents rank among the top 10 in the nation.

Facing such tough opponents will require the Hoosiers to play to their strength, which is their speed, and to improve their block defense, Dunbar-Kruzan said.

The veteran coach believes her players got better after their lone practice between matches because of their discipline and willingness to come in and get 
better.

“I expect to win this match,” Dunbar-Kruzan said. “We want a 20-win season if not more than that, so we have eight more stickers on our board to peel off and to earn our stripes.”

IU owes much of its success this season to the play of its freshmen, who have continued to grow comfortable playing in different venues.

Middle blocker Hayden Huybers ranks first among Big Ten freshmen in hitting percentage and aces, sixth in blocks and seventh in kills. Outside hitter Kendall Beerman sits at fourth among freshmen in hitting percentage and fifth in kills.

The Hoosiers are led in blocks per set by freshman Deyshia Lofton.

“The freshmen are excited about playing in hostile environments,” Dunbar-Kruzan said. “That’s why they chose this. They understand the crowds and everything. To me, it means that they are great competitors and that they understand that this conference is a volleyball conference. I think they have more excitement than nervousness. I’m not worried about them in that 
 environment.”