opinion oped editorial

EDITORIAL: New Greek reforms may have mixed results

Greek life is about to be a whole lot different from what IU is used to.

A ban on hard liquor? Blasphemy.

The idea is noble, and the intentions are as well, yet the initial response has been outrage. Perhaps this was predictable. But what do the new rules actually say?

It appears that hard liquor is being banned, but what has been said is only wine and beer can be offered to those who are 21 and older as long as it remains in the original 
packaging.

This is a step forwards, in all reality. Before, no alcohol was explicitly allowed in greek houses on campus.

There was no written right and it was just a rule that was continuously broken. The new rules are responses to the many outrageous incidents that have occurred over the years in the greek system.

The greek system has been viewed as one that encourages rape culture and allows accidents involving alcohol to happen.

IU is trying to become more accountable and more responsible for the greek system by implementing these rules.

Of course, there will be repercussions. People already believe these new rules will have a more negative effect rather than a positive one.

Why ban hard liquor from the frats and sororities when those who come to the parties will seek them out anyways?

We fear some people will just end up drinking before they leave and increase the likelihood of accidents occurring on the way to and from parties. There is also the possibility of drinking hard liquor in the houses but having to do so in secrecy, which would raise the potential for accidents.

This rule about what alcohol can and cannot be on greek house property goes hand in hand with the new policy on police searches, another outrageous rule in the eyes of the greek system.

Once again, though, this is an attempt for IU to check itself about what is happening beneath its nose.

It is very likely that members of a fraternity or sorority could have contraband in the house that would get every member in trouble if found by the police.

Also, the chance of manufacturing or selling said illegal and dangerous goods is a high risk for the community as well.

Naturally, the greek system will not like any of the rules put in place so long as it can damper the party life they aim for.

Do we believe a lot of resentment will meet these rules? Absolutely. The outrage is justified.

However, the results of these rules in the long run will likely benefit the greek system and IU at the same time.

Hopefully, this helps fight the epidemic of sexual assault on campus that is often pinned, whether correctly or not, on the greek system.

When everyone takes responsibility for what is necessary, that is when we will see change in the greek system as well as the University.

These rules are just a step towards that change.