weekend

Uncovering Bloomington: Finding the best ice cream in town

Located on Dunn Street, Hartnell's offers a variety of homemade flavors. 

This semester, I welcome you to follow me every week as I tour spots in Bloomington. Highlighting some of the best this town has to offer, we will keep it local and find as many hidden gems as 
possible.

With Labor Day weekend on the horizon, we are reminded that summer is coming to a close. Therefore, our first stop in our tour Bloomington adventure is local ice cream parlors.

Bloomington is home to many local ice cream shops that can help you venture away from your chain stores, such as Dairy Queen and Cold Stone Creamery.

Since this time of year involves many new students gaining their footing and exploring our fantastic Bloomington, I narrowed down two places for you to explore. And if you’re not new to Bloomington but still looking for the best creamy treat around, don’t stop reading, this is perfect for you too.

So come along on a journey with me in the local land of chocolate, vanilla and exotic flavors and toppings alike. Here’s where you should go before the temperatures drop.

The Chocolate Moose

The subject of local controversy last year due to its relocation, the Chocolate Moose has been a staple in Bloomington for years. Originally a part of May’s Café which opened in 1933, the Chocolate Moose is simply a continuation of the original café, according to its website. This ice cream parlor on South Walnut Street is home to Food Truck Fridays and many delicious cones, floats, sundaes and more.

As you stand outside waiting for your ice cream, take time to notice the 1950s feel of the building. The nostalgia is sure to make you think of bobby socks and saddle shoes while you hear Justin Timberlake’s smooth voice in the background for a modern twist. The quaintness of the building has always appealed to me, almost as much as its blue moon ice cream, a flavor I swear I can’t find as good anywhere else.

Prices are reasonable, with soft serve starting at about $2 and homemade ice cream starting at about $3. Try any of the homemade flavors like Grasshopper or Brown County Coffee for a tasty experience.

Hartzell’s

Another great choice for homemade ice cream is Hartzell’s on Dunn Street. The closer choice for those living on or close to campus, Hartzell’s offers a variety of flavors and soft serve ice cream treats, all reasonably priced as well.

With a constantly rotating menu, it has been hard for me to narrow down a favorite flavor. I love their traditional strawberry, but the best thing to do here is try one of the more interesting flavors. I recommend the green tea or any seasonal flavor.

These local shops won’t break your budget or make you feel guilty for neglecting those meal points. If you’re staying in town this weekend, stop by one or both — I won’t judge — of these shops. You won’t be disappointed.